PDA

View Full Version : May 10 Fishing Report

Jeff's Guide Service
05-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Hi folks. Well we’re halfway through the first week of fishing. Things have been every bit as good as I thought they’d be going into the opener. Walleye fishing has been excellent with lots of nice fish being boated. You had to work these fish, but they’ve been picking up each day, and catching 20 to 25 walleyes a day is pretty common now. Like anything, you have to kind of pick and choose which lake you’re going to go to. Area flowages have been producing good multi-specie action and mid-size lakes are at the beginning stages of that strong post-spawn weed bite. The large clear waters are at water temps that should put them pretty much at “spawn” right now. The fish I boated from these types of waters are egg-laden and deep. If you plan to release these fish, handle them with care as they are very ripe at this moment.

When it comes to your weed bites, 7 to 8 foot of water has been the most productive. Look for new green weed and you should find fish. Jigs tipped with fathead minnows or dace are the deadliest of the baits. Keep your retrieves slow …. We’re just dragging at this moment and the hits are very subtle. Don’t be looking for that good tick that you would normally feel – it’s more of a subtle change from what would be weed snag – just a little bit different.

Panfish have been spotty, although I’ve seen, caught and have had reports of crappies hanging around. These fish are being found in 8 to 10 ft. of weeds and staging just outside of their traditional spawning areas. Slip bobbers tipped with small minnows are working best and anglers are having success when it comes to fishing these tasty little critters.

The rest of this week and next should show us some of the strongest fishing action of the spring when it comes to walleye and northern. Some good lakes to try would be all 3 of the area flowages, especially if you’re looking for some multi-specie action, and mid-sized lakes that you know have abundant weed bed during the course of the year, as these lakes will still have early patches of weeds. Lakes like Big Arb, Little Arb, Minocqua and Big St. Germain. Let’s hope the weather cooperates.

Well that’s it for now. See you on the water.
Good luck fishing. Jeff