PDA

View Full Version : Shabbone Musky(fish) Rescue------RESULTS!

ToddM
05-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Forty two dedicated fishermen that love the lake called Shabbona took forth in a muskie rescue below the spillway in Indian Creek on May 3. The weather and the water was cold as they all knew. When a date is set to do a rescue it has to be completed.The creek can be very much of a challenge to move about in between the sticks and unforeseen rocks that are in your path while holding a large muskie net.Many of the volunteers fell down and it did not matter if you had waders or not you got wet and very cold. Thank you to all of the people who helped and to all of those that came and watched because of their interest in the resource that we were protecting.One of the volunteers (Ed Haagenson) was a boy scout master and he brought his troop to watch. A couple of them even got in the water and helped.What a great experience for youngsters to witness.
The rescue was a success we caught and released back into Shabbona Lake 51 muskies measuring 24"-40" and 24 Walleyes ranging 14"- 30.50".
About a month ago a barrier fence was constructed(at a cost of 15,000 dollars funded by Illinois Muskie clubs) in Indian Creek about 250 yards downstream from the spillway of Shabbona Lake. This fence was constructed to keep the fish that go over the spillway during high water periods from either going downstream never to be seen again or die in low water periods in the creek. The fence did its job it was incredible to see how well that it has worked. The fence was made possible through the Hugh Becker Grant Fund which is a conservation minded grant fund and that is available to muskie related conservation projects. It was also made possible by several Muskies Incorporated Clubs and Muskie Clubs that are members of the Illinois Muskie Alliance in Illinois and also Illinois Muskie Tournament Trail. Shabbona Lakeside Baitshop adn Shabbona Sportsmans Club also contributed funds to the fence.
Thank you to all of the people that helped out at the muskie rescue it was one of the worst weather days that we ever had. It amazes me at the dedication that these people have it makes me proud to have been a part of it. I have done this for years and there are several young men there that were kids a few years ago. This year they were right there in the water next to their dads. They have turned into fine young men. All of these people that made time in their lives to make the lake better for others should be given a nice pat on the back and a thank you.
The barrier fence will be a great addition to protect our fishery if it is maintained and stays intact.Muskies are approximately 12-15 dollars a fish to purchase and stock.Just imagine how much a loss of money 51 muskies of larger size are worth when they are lost. Now this will be prevented. Shabbona will become an even more plentiful fishery in the next few years.

If I receive any photos I will pass them along.

Thank You,
Duane Landmeier President
Quad County Hawg Hunters Chapter of Muskies Incorporated Plano, IL.