PDA

View Full Version : Spring is Bow-Fishing Time!

Joel DeBoer
04-22-2011, 04:22 PM
There is no shortage to outdoor-related opportunities in North-Central Wisconsin. While hunting and fishing rate among the favorite nature-themed activities in our area, there is a vastly overlooked on-the-water experience to be had. Often thought of as more of a “Southern” sport, bow-fishing is not only available in our area, but Central Wisconsin offers some of the some of the finest action in the Midwest!

I can remember my first bow-fishing experience years ago while venturing out with my good friend, Jesse Chellevold. We stalked the shallows of Lake Wausau in my flat-bottomed 14’ boat while targeting the plentiful carp that resided there, all the while having an absolute blast. We were certainly rookies at the game, and a little guidance would have been nice back then as we dove into our new pastime - I can tell you this, few people can jump out of a boat after the line breaks and sprint through the shallows chasing a carp better than Jesse. Honestly, if I hadn’t seen it, I don’t know if I would have believed it (and yes, he DID get that carp!).

That was years ago during the carefree days of our youth – lazy summer afternoons spent wearing cheap sunglasses while standing on plastic coolers that would end up weighing more than the boat. While I still spend a great deal of time on the water, the bulk of it chasing muskies, I still take time each season to hunt rough fish in the shallow waters of the Wisconsin River system.

My good friend and guiding colleague, Todd Bohm, owns and operates Muddy Waters Bow Fishing - a guide service dedicated to the finest bow-fishing experience in the area. Todd is an avid hunter and fisherman, but holds a special place in his heart for bow-fishing. For his fish “hunting” adventures, Todd captains a monster flat-bottomed boat at over twenty feet long complete with front shooting platform and generated lighting to illuminate the water as if it were high noon.

Bow-fishing, contrary to popular belief here in the North, is not limited to the balmy summer months. For starters, bow-fishing is an exciting alternative to springtime fishing for species such as crappies, walleyes, and northern pike. More importantly, Todd’s records indicate that while they are able to score on good numbers of fish throughout summer, even into October or early November, spring is just plain something special. As Todd points out, anglers bow-fishing in spring, on the right waters, have the potential to shoot hundreds, perhaps even up to one thousand pounds of carp in one night; yes, you read that correctly – one thousand pounds. Take a moment and imagine that… one thousand pounds of over-stuffed monster carp lying in the bottom of the boat; now THAT sounds like a good time!

Whether you are a die-hard angler or hunter, or perhaps a novice in the outdoors, bow-fishing is something you just have to experience. It is an activity unique unto itself, offering those who choose to participate with a view into the underwater view vastly different from anything you’ve most likely been witness to before; the best part though, is seeing the “glow” of a giant carp appear, and the subsequent release of your arrow, hopefully straight and true. Believe me, the saying extends beyond the old Life Cereal commercial: “Try it, you’ll like it!” I’ll see you on the water…