PDA

View Full Version : Capt. Fritz

Captain Fritz Peterson
04-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi Everybody,
Been goofing off lately with my Fish Reports partly because of the weather, high winds, rain and snow. It has caused water temps to jump up and down over 6 degrees. It has been a real bummer.

As you probably all know the ice finally went out last week. The wind during the Brown Trout Tournament made it pretty tough. There were two 18lb. plus Browns caught though but only 51 total fish registered.

Walleyes down on the Fox River have been biting pretty good although the last cold rain and snow cooled the river down from 42 to 36 degrees on last Saturday which slowed the bite considerably.

Now we have this rain & snow storm to deal with. I wish the weather would make up its mind.

There will be only a week of prefishing before the SBOT Bass Touranment this year and water temps will play major part in how those fish bite. We should all make a concerted effort to get the Bass season here illimated. It serves no good reason and stops us from useing the resource which serves nobody. It also takes the WDNR away from other duties they should be taking care of. I have tried to get this off the bookes before but the Congress and DNR don't want to put it on the agenda. Those of you that remember Warden Mike Barts was helping me with that issue but the Conservation Congress and DNR didn't put it on for a vote. WHY????

The Walleyes have been biting downtown Sturgeon Bay but again the cold and wind has not made it allot of fun like usual when we have 50 degree temps. I think the fish don't know weather to spawn or not with the big water temp swings.

There are a few Northern being caught down town. Some days better then others. I haven't heard of anything real big though 10-14lbs.

I got my Turkey last week 21.10lbs., 1 inch spurs & 10 inch beard. Had a great time other then the high winds that kicked in last week and got himg before the foul weather moved in 4/14 in the after noon.

Just to let everybody know Leatherm Smith will be opening on May 1st and the docks have been treged to 7ft. The launch ramp has been fixed so it is good to go if you stay there. Also Howies Tackle has been sold and the new owners are very nice so stop in and meet them.
Good Luck
Capt. Fritz