PDA

View Full Version : Take a Kid Fishing!

Joel DeBoer
04-02-2011, 10:20 AM
From my blog "Guide Notes" at wisconsinoutdoorfun.com

I’ve certainly written or spoken about them plenty of times over the years – my earliest memories of fishing. I remember the earliest of days, fishing with family on the grassy banks of the Eau Claire River not far from my Grandparents dairy farm. The warm lazy sunshine-filled summer afternoons were perfect for a kid, as buckets of hand-dug worms resulted in a flurry of action from chubs, shiners, suckers, and the occasional smallmouth bass. I remember the trips to the farm ponds and the eager anticipation with which I studied my bobber, ever vigilant for the slightest movement indicating a visitor from below. The scores of bluegills and largemouth bass we caught and released helped to fuel the seemingly never-ending smile on my face. I undoubtedly could ramble on concerning memories of fishing as a child, and couldn’t be more thankful for the ability to do so. I have many people to thank for providing those opportunities to me including my parents, grandparents, and an array of aunts and uncles.

The sad fact of the matter is that many young people today do not have the opportunity to experience the joy and tranquility the outdoors can provide. Broken homes, hectic work schedules, and the ever-increasing competition for our attention from video games to the Internet are but a few of the contributing factors to this dilemma.

Living here in North-Central Wisconsin we are fortunate to have access to an array of outdoor opportunities, many of which are perfect for introducing a young person to the wonderful worlds of fishing and hunting. While I am an ardent musky angler, it’s a species and type of fishing not always conducive to a first-time angler. When looking to get a child out, especially for the first couple of times, it is important to make sure to not ‘over-do’ it. Begin by selecting dates and times when the weather is fair, and be sure to have plenty of snacks and beverages along – comfort is the name of the game when keeping first time outdoorsmen interested. Action is important, so be sure and pursue quarry that will be able to keep the young person active during the course of your trip. Bluegills and crappies are perfect for beginning fishermen, and are readily accessible during the spring of the year. A simple float and single hook tipped with either live bait or synthetic presentations such as Gulp or Powerbait will catch fish all day long.

The spring walleye run is also an excellent time to get a “newbie” on the water, especially when blessed with an unseasonably warm spring day. A plain jig head tipped with a minnow, or a walking-sinker style rig baited the same are solid bets for producing action. Another good bet during the early season is the sucker run. Not only are they plentiful in local waters, but grow to decent size and put up quite a tussle when hooked; a simple sliding sinker rig and single hook baited with a night crawler and fished on the bottom will work well. No matter how may years pass me by, this is still a rite of spring that I look forward to each year!

As summer progresses, new and exciting opportunities arise, including a personal favorite of mine, carp fishing. Carp fishing? Yes – there’s a definite reason carp are showing up on television and in magazines more every year! For an individual looking to get a young person “hooked” on fishing, few species provide the magic formula locally as an afternoon on the river in search of carp. A single hook baited with canned corn and fished on the bottom will provide hours of delight as these excellent fighters peel drag from your reel, run after run.

Take the time to introduce a young person to the world of fishing this season, you’ll enjoy it probably as much as they will; better yet, I guarantee you’ll be making a positive difference in their life. I’ll see you on the water…

Tight lines,
Joel