PDA

View Full Version : Fishing reeport for 2-19-2011

walleyemaxx
02-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Hi everyone,

Finally made our U.P. trip. The warm weather last week melted all the snow on top of the ice, and made a really thick layer of ice. would not want to use a hand auger. But it also made it really slick. The ice is smooth except where snowmobiles had gone thru the slush. that made big ridges. Made for a bumpy ride and hard walking. Naturally, I forgot my creepers and had to shuffle to get around. i took one header, but didn't get hurt.

The fishing was slow, but we did catch a few fish. Between Ron, Jerry, and myself, we caught 1- Walleye, 1-Northern, 1-crappie, and 8-SM.Bass! The bass were a surprise. They were mostly big,between 16-18". We threw them all back. Kept the other fish.

We fished a deep water hump with tip ups and jigging. had sucker minnows on the tip ups and finally figured that spoons tipped with waxxies was the jigging tactic for the day. Even the Northern. The fish were real finicky. They would come in and stare at the bait for the longest time and usually swam away. The ones that hit just sucked in the bait slowly. had to stop jigging and watch the rod tip. it would just bend lightly and slowly. It was fun fighting the bigger fish in deeper water from 25-30 feet. Only a few weeks left for the game fishing season, so we will try to make another trip to da U.P.

The weather was cold in the morning. It was around 8 degrees to start out the day, but warmed up to the high twenty's by afternoon. The wind was real light all day from the north with clear sky's most of the day. Clouds moved in just before dark.

Supposed to get a major snow storm today, so will probably fish close to home. Good luck fishing everyone.

Walleyemaxx

walleyemaxx
02-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Hi everyone,

Didn't get out sunday. Was under the weather. Talked to some guys who were at the lake I was gonna go to and found out they didn't do very good.

This winter has been so hit or miss, and mainly miss. I think the thick ice now with the heavy snow on it earlier had something to do with it. I think The reduced sunlight is affecting the fish because it produces less oxygen, which in turn stresses the fish and puts them off the feed.

I can't remember seeing so many fish on the Vex that seem like they want to smack the lure, but just don't. Oh well, just have to keep trying. Dirty job, but someones gotta do it. Might as well be me.

Walleyemaxx

walleyemaxx
02-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Hi everyone,

Here is the latest on the Hayward area fishing.

ICE FISHING REPORT

Walleye:
Though not considered prime time for walleyes, anglers are catching fish - and some good ones at that. Best action continues to be under low light conditions, specifically just before and after dark. Look for weeds, rock, gravel, drop-offs, and other structure. Fish depths from 8-20 feet during low light, and 35 feet or deeper on clear days. Use walleye suckers and shiners under tip-ups or jig with fatheads.

Northern:
Northerns are perhaps providing the most consistent action. Fish weeds with shiners and large northern suckers. Fish deeper weeds with larger baits for trophy pike.

Crappie:
Some crappie anglers are having very good success, while others ... not so much. Fish are suspending over deeper water (to 20 feet or more) and near weeds, wood, and other structure. A locator can be of great help, as fish are holding at various locations in the water column - some immediately under the ice. Baits of choice include crappie minnows, waxies, spikes, and plastics on jigs, teardrops, and plain hooks.

Bluegill:
Bluegill action reports also range from poor to good. Look for them near weeds, cribs, and other structure in 5-20 feet of water, depending on the lake you fish. Use waxies, spike, plastics, and Gulp! baits.

Perch:
Perch fishing is fair to good, but inconsistent, and may require considerable moving around on the lakes. Fish on or just off bottom with waxies, spikes, and fatheads or small minnows on plain hooks, jigs, jigging spoons, or under tip-ups.

DNR fisheries biologist Skip Sommerfeldt says the variable, constantly changing weather continues to keep ice fishing pressure and success at mid-winter lows. "Ice conditions are good across the north woods, with most lakes holding at 15-18 inches of ice. Mild weather compacted the snow cover making for easier travel, and more vehicles are spreading out to new fishing areas."
Walleye anglers report generally slow action. It appears walleyes are starting to change their preferred habitat, with the shallow mud/muck flats becoming less productive while action is improving on rock bars and gravel drop-offs. Crappie success continues to be very low and even the perch have become more finicky in their biting. Successful perch anglers are moving from lake to lake and spot to spot searching for active fish. Small minnows on bare hooks fished just off bottom continue to produce the best catches.

That is the latest from the great north woods. Good luck in your pursuit of a fish dinner.

Walleyemaxx