PDA

View Full Version : fishing report 1-15-2011

walleyemaxx
01-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Hi everyone,

Despite the less than perfect weather, the Walleyes were biting pretty good. the barometer was rising, the temp was dropping, and the wind was starting to pick up. By the time I called it a night, the wind chill was 5 below zero and dropping. I might have stayed out longer, but the battery in the vex was almost dead. The light was very dim with the gain turned way up.

Fishing my favorite small lake close to home, I caught 4 Walleyes with one keeper and lost 4 more at the hole. 2 of those were keeper size. Not real huge, but were over 15". All the fish were caught jigging with one flag on the tip ups. Fish took out about 20 feet of line on the tip up then dropped it. All the walleyes were caught on jigging raps and minnow heads. i tried spoons and waxxies, but a jigging rap and a minnow head was the only thing that worked. Of interest is that I dd not catch any perch. Ice is about 12"thick yet with about 6" of snow on top. The mobility is excellent. I'll be out again tommorow. Same lake, different spot.`

Walleyemaxx

ALVW
01-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Fished a walleye lake here in NW Indiana today with my son-in-law and his brother. Somewhat slow but I did manage 4 walleye (12.5"-14") and 1 small crappie. My fish were all on a jigging shadrap with minnow head. Had 2 hits on a deadstick jig and minnow missed them both. Also had a tipup set with about a 4" shiner but nothing on it. My son-in-law got 1 walleye and 1 perch on a darter tipped with a minnow head. His brother had 2 flags on fathead minnows but they dropped it almost immediately, got blanked.

Al

walleyemaxx
01-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Hi ALVW,

Sounds like you had a god time. How is the snow down there? The snow on my little lake was just hitting the axle on my ATV. Still very good mobility though. We had around 12 below zero wind chill last night after I watched the Packers take care of the falcons. You better go fishing around noon today so you won't have to suffer thru watching da bears get humiliated by the seahawks. haha. If you've got some pictures of your fishing, feel free to post them.

Walleyemaxx

ALVW
01-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Snow on the lake was only about 4". This lake has about 6" of ice. The shallow weeds are still holding up well, so still been fishing the shallow weed edges. South Bend area had 30"+ last weekend of lake effect snow. Have stayed away from the lake where I usually bass and gill fish because the lake has been getting 100+ fishermen during the week and 200+ on weekends. Has really made it difficult to find fish willing to bite.

As far as Da'Bears, I guess we will have a rematch with the Packer next week. Going to be a tough one. The Packers sure looked good again this week. They certainly are peeking at the right time.

Have not been taking pictures lately, I need to get back in the habit. The attached picture is from a few weeks ago of a 38" northern. The area with all the weeds behind me is part of the lake. It is about 2.5 fow and produces a lot of gills. I am standing in about an 8 foot channel. The bass and northern hang out in the channel.

Maybe later in the winter I will post some pictures from last summer fishing the Chip to get the juices flowing. Got some dandy muskie pictures.

Al

http://www.outdoors911.com/reports/attachment.php?attachmentid=12489&stc=1&d=1295235903

walleyemaxx
01-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi ALVW,

Nice pic. Yhanks for the info about the conditions down there. Actually sounds like excellent travel conditions and that is a nice Northern.

Well George Hallas and Vince Lombardi have to be smiling right now. The tradition continues. Bears VS Packers. Just doesn't get any better than that no matter who wins.

I'll be posting my report for yesterday soon. Was a real slow day.

Walleyemaxx