PDA

View Full Version : Fishing report 12-18-2010

walleyemaxx
12-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Hi everyone,

Slush is the operative word.All the snow dumped by last weeks storm is blanketing the ice to the point that the slush is not freezing at all. I took my ATV close to shore and went thru many slush pockets untill I got to where I walked out to the deeper water to fish. It is a long point with a crib and weeds at the end where it drops to deep water. I walked thru a long deep slush pocket to get there. I wear swampers that are 17" high and the water was about 2" from the top! Very hard walking. Especially for an old fart like me. I had to drag my stuff out there about 100 yards since I wasn't sure of the ice thickness. Good thing. With the snow blanketing the ice, it never made any more ice for the last two weeks. I fished the same spot two weeks ago with 5" of ice. Still only 5" of ice. So any body coming up north, Be carefull.

I did catch a lot of fish. Lots of Perch, mainly small with about three that would have been edible, but I threw every thing back. Did get one nice Walleye on a tipup with a Walleye sucker minnow. Released that also. The Perch all came jigging with a jigging Rap tipped with Waxworms. Had to use two Waxxies and change them often, lots of sniffers otherwise. Fresh ones made them biters. Never had any big marks come into the Vex, so I don't feel I missed anything big. After dark when the Perch disappeared, I swithced over to a bigger jigRap tipped with a minnow head, but had no takers. I'll be back at it tommorow on the same lake, but in a different spot. hope the slush isn't to bad at that spot. i just looked out the window and could see it is snowing again. Oh well, It is winter.

Walleyemaxx