PDA

View Full Version : Report for 12-5-10

walleyemaxx
12-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Hi everyone,

Watched the Packer game untill half time, than headed out. Used my 6 wheeler to travel down the shore area of a lake close to home. Still not thick enough to travel out to the middle yet. It snowed the whole time I was out there and continued to snow all night. Now the ice will take longer to thicken up and I'll be using my snowmobile instead unless we get slush.

There was a lot of fish on the Vex the whole time I was fishing, but they were just sniffing again for about the first 2 hours. When I finally figured out what technique would work for today, they still weren't overly active. Managed to catch a bunch of small Perch and small Walleye. I was going to release every thing any way. It is just fun to catch fish thru a little hole in the ice. When the ice does thicken, I'll be able to fish some of the larger lakes in the area and move quit a bit to find active fish.

The baits that worked for me this weekend was a small spoon and a small jigging Rapala.On Sat. the jigging Rap worked the best, on Sun. the small spoon worked the best. Both days I tipped with Waxworms. Had to use two, they wouldn't touch it with just one. Even the Walleyes prefered the Waxworms. I tried the minnow heads, but nothing would touch it, just look at it. Strangely, I caught nothing on tippups. I had Golden shinners on them, with just one flag again which the fish dropped after a short run. On this particular lake, I usually catch most of the Walleyes on tippups and the Golden Shinner is the prefered minnow in the winter. Have to do some more experimenting again, but that's the fun of it.

Anybody going out, good luck and be safe out there. The snow can change the ice conditions rapidly. Watch for that.

Walleyemaxx

JerkyJosh
12-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Put a couple tip ups out in front of my bro's place on Sat. hoping to hook a northern with no luck out on the Big Chip. Decided to jig a little for some pan fish and caught 6 perch, all released (were not even big enough to keep if i wanted to). Less ice than i thought there would be. i would guess around 2 inches about 50-75 yards out. ice was soild though. Apartently could hold a 185 pound guy with a vex. and a black lab.

walleyemaxx
12-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for that report J.J. Put a life jacket on that lab. The ice should be thickening up now. The temps are single digits with below zero wind chills. The forecast calls for more cold weather for awhile.

Enjoy your ice fishing and post pictures of the big ones you catch. Or a picture of the Lab.

Walleyemaxx