PDA

View Full Version : First ice fishing trip of 2010

walleyemaxx
12-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Hi everyone,

Finally got ice! Stayed close to home and fished a small shallow lake. I found 4-5 inches of solid ice. I even drove my 6 wheel ATV over parts of it. The farther out I went, the thinner the ice became, so I fished only a small area. First ice is a dangerous time to travel like I like to. So I fished a small area off the side of a sand bar.

I set two tippups and jigged a third hole. On the tippups, I had only one flag and missed it. But in my one man portable, I had a lot of action. Saw lots of fish on the Vex, but at first they were just sniffing. It took a while to figure out the technique for today to get them to bite. But once I figured it out, the action was consistent. Caught 6 Perch and lost a lot more. They were biting real light. Once the sun started to set, then the Walleyes started. Only caught two. Had to really work them to get them to hit. Lots of other bigger marks wouldn't hit. They stayed around for a long time and go up and down, but would not hit. But that's the fun of it. I released every thing to fight another day. Pictured are the two Walleyes. I'll be back at it tomorrow. Good luck to all who go out.

Walleyemaxx