PDA

View Full Version : Musky Action

Mat Hegy
10-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I have been guiding all over the area and have been finding water temps pretty close wherever I go. All the lakes I have been on are in the low 50's and have been showing a fairly distinct pattern, both weed and break edges have been showing fish from 6 to 19 feet. Fishing has been up and down but seems to be on an increase in activity. Many smaller fish have been showing themselves with the occasional trophy mixed in. Over the weekend we put 5 Muskies in the boat with a 45 incher being the biggest. Congratulation to my dad for his first muskie on his first Muskie outing, and our first fishing trip together in over 20 years. Suckers have been producing all of my strikes in the last few days. This is not uncommon this time of year, some days they want a casted baits the next they want suckers. I don't want to discourage casting because you will be missing out if you don't cast. Suckers in the 13-14 inch range have been working best for me. We have had a fair amount of wind in the last few days and I can not overemphasize keeping the boat moving slowly and concentrating on boat control. The boats that were drifting along at a good clip generally came up empty handed at the end of the day. Really picking apart a spot can mean getting that one bite or getting skunked. Good luck to all.
Mat