PDA

View Full Version : report 10/2

Steve Herbeck
10-03-2010, 09:35 AM
water temps 53-55 been holding right around there for 3-4 days. the system has been in constant turmoil for the past couple weeks,early turnover,periodic fronts rolling through weekly, constantly changing winds daily with alot of E,NE,N,NW 20-30mph+,pretty much the same crap the whole midwest has been experiencing, so some stability is needed for a few days which looks like it is coming this week, 50's-60's,sun and partly cloudy, relativly mild s,sw winds then swinging thurs fri to nw but still nice weather.
walleyes have remained deep at mostly 34-42' with most fish 15-23" and some bigger mixed in to 29" last week but overall avg size is down from the rest of the season prior.most fish in pods on deep hard bottom flats out and off bases of bars and deep humps.
the bright bite has been smallmouth bass. been excellent, lots of 16-19" fish with 20"+ fish caught by all groups fishing for them and built like bricks,deep heavy,solid,hard fighting fish. one of the most overlooked unexploited fall fisheries. been avg. 30-50 fish while mixing it in with walleye fishing or combo days with musky. on avg they will be 10-15' shallower and up on the humps than the walleyes. jigs and big chubs and suckers been best baits.
some big pike being caught mixed in the the walleyes and bass,also off rock bars casting for musky and or off the livebaits being run.most caught last couple weeks have been 34-42".
muskys can be and are scattered around but starting to show signs of bunching up again primarily but not totally on rocks. seen it better,much better but seen it worse,not seeing a ton of fish daily,4-10 daily an avg with 1-2 hookup opportunities but some quality fish being boated, piersons boated a 54,gary swengal 50.5,43,42,40,bill heddon 51.5,50,48,42, sands group 47,52" which was rogers first ,alex miller 49" his first,brock got his first 3 on a day he tried them 45,43,42,harriman 46,springers got thier first trying one afternoon 47,42 and there were more 38-43" amongst guests. mostly raiders,#10's,some action on gramas and dawgs,and livebaits on quicksets been good when we can get the right sizes which has been difficult this season.
we're looking forward to the last 2 weeks of fishing with the stable weather forecasted,and some big fish to be boated.
the guided duck goose hunts have been great for all groups,last week the gnagni group had fantastic shoots daily with most days 20+ geese and 25+ ducks by 9;00am ,shot grouse 2 pms and fished the rest boating alot of walleyes,bass,and pike,said it was one of the best trips they've had. most birds are being called in and decoyed out of layout blinds with first shots at 15yds or less.last group coming in thurs then it's getting ready for the whitetail hunts which look like it's going to be a good season,rut sign and activity levels ahead of most years and with all the moisture this season horn growth appears to be excellent. can fit in one or 2 hunters starting oct 29 or nov 12 for rut rifle hunts.
full this week but got some openings for oct 9-18th for fishing and or a 4 day water fowl combo,should be prime time.

sjchiz
10-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the report Herbie. Me and a buddy are headed up later this week and were wondering how the water levels were this year?

EagleNewbie
10-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Looks like I caught a 51 inch fish from NJ, now that's a long musky rod! I think you meant Bill Hedden, Herbie. :)

I was wondering if he caught anything yet. Hope you're all having a great finish to the season. Tell Bill I said hi and I REALLY wish I was there. It's far better to catch a good fish than get just credit for it.
Best,
Tom

Steve Herbeck
10-07-2010, 07:02 AM
opps,
was in a hurry.
the 50 he got with me the other day he said was his 9th 50" here.