PDA

View Full Version : Weekend report

walleyemaxx
09-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm about ready to put the Walleyes picture on a milk carton. They seem to be missing! The good news is the Bass and Blugills are still hitting readily. I am so amazed at the size of the Blugills. I started to measure them. 1 was 6 3/4", but the rest were between 7 3/4-9 3/4"s, and I caught 15 of them. I catch them all while fishing for Walleyes on the Walleye gear. That means bigger hooks. If I scaled down, i am sure I would catch a lot more. I usually loose way more than I hook. Still using leeches. They are hard to come by, but I bought the last 2 pounds my dealer had so I'll have leeches for awhile yet.

The bass were real active too. caught most on crankbaits around weeds. I've been fishing deep and shallow for the Walleyes and coming up with Bass and Blugills. not a Walleye all weekend. I talked to JENS and he's not catching Walleyes either. Lots of every thing else, but the Walleyes are hard to find and he is using minnows and crawlers.

I think it is still a forage thing. The Walleyes are keying in so specifically to one forage that is now very plentifull, that they ignore everything else. The water temps were 62-64 degrees this weekend and the bugs are still hatching strong. Still lots of natural forage out there. I also saw lots of frogs on the highway Friday night during the rain. Maybe the frog migration is on and that is what the Walleyes are keying in on. Once the water temps drop below 60, I look for better things. Just remember that when we start catching Walleyes, they will be fat. They are feeding good on something right now. When that dries up, they will be on the prowl. Be ready!

Walleyemaxx

smiley
09-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Fished the Turtle Flamebau Flowage a few hours Thursday - Saturday as well and managed 1 12" walleye on a leech. He was fat at least so I'm guessing they've been feeding well. A few bass mixed in but overall, not much fish action. Tried crawlers, leeches and minnows plus a few cranks. Glad I was staining the cabin most of the weekend because it was more entertaining than fishing. I hope to get back out again the middle of October. Also, saw hatches from some white moths and mosquitos hatched Saturday after the rain...... and they were huge. Back to work now.

walleyemaxx
09-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the report Smiley. sounds like it is slow Walleye action there as well. We are finally starting to get cooler air tems at night with cloudy days. that will keep driving the water temps down. That is what we need to see improved Walleye fishing. Hopefully we get some frost. That will put the bug hatches to rest and reduce that aspect of the forage supply.

Look forward to more reports. it's always nice to share info with each other. Any one else who has been fishing, please feel free to make a report and share your fishing stories.

Walleyemaxx