PDA

View Full Version : Awesome 1st trip to Andy Myers

Nork06
09-07-2010, 09:33 AM
This was my first trip to Eagle Lake and I now know this is the musky captiol of the world. Everyone at Andy Myers is exceptional. I have been musky fishing for 30 years and have gone to alot of different places and I am sorry it has taken me this long to come to Andy Myers and Eagle Lake.

With that said, I boated a 51.5, my personal best. And boated a 49 incher later in the week.

Every spot that we went this week was holding BIG fish. We had many chances to hook up but just missed on serveral chances. We had hooks in at least 4 other 50in + fish but lost them when the fish came out of the water and spit the hooks or just darted out on the turn at the boat.

I personally raised two of the biggest fish that I have ever seen. I fished with Cal one of our days and raised a fish that he estimated to be at least 56 inches if not more. This big girl came slow but stayed for a good minute so we all could see her.

Second huge fish I saw was the day I went with Scotty, this fish came came a little bit hotter and did take a turn at that the boat but never hooked up. Scotty estimates it to be mid to high 50's. Scotty took two others out in my party two days later and saw what they believe to be the same fish.

I fished with Mikey for several days and he put us on huge fish every day as well. if it weren't for me screwing up at the boat serveral times I would have boated many large fish with Mike but still was able to hook into the 49incher with him.

The big fish are for sure moving. I still can not believe the quality of fish in Eagle, it is unreal.

i have now found a home with Andy Myers and all the great people that work there.

Thanks again to Steve and his staff for a great time.

Nork

DanR
09-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Uh-oh, the secret is out!!! :D

First, congrats on the 51! Good job, nice looking fish.

Second, it always cracks me up when people come back from Eagle Lake gushing about the Muskies. IT IS INSANE, isn't it? It didn't always used to be like that either. Even in my 10 or so years, I have seen this place explode. There are so many 45-50"s now it's crazy. It almost seems like on almost every spot there is a 4 footer. And then you see and catch the big girls.

Two of my buddies finally came to Eagle this year. It was a tougher week than usual, but we had our chances. And they said they couldn't believe the structure and average size of the Muskies they saw. So, while neither of them got a personal best in terms of size, they realized the potential of what they saw...they haven't seen that anywhere else...and they'll be back. They are actually excited to go back, even after tough post frontal conditions while they were on Eagle!

For me, I fished Lake of the Woods twice. The best thing that ever happened to me was that a construction company booked the entire lodge I used to stay at for the week I usually went to LOTW. So I had nowhere to go, and I called Steve Herbeck in February of that year. I figured, "hey, let's try a different destination." I booked with Herbie that day, and now I am happy to say we're good buddies.

After the first two days of fishing on Eagle, my Dad and I came back to the cabin and poured a few bourbons. We looked at each other in disbelief, and agreed that Andy Myers and Eagle Lake was THE place to fish muskies. He also told me that if I truly wanted a GIANT musky, that if I kept coming to Eagle Lake...it was only a matter of time. At this point, I have a 54"...and I lost one even bigger in 2009. It's crazy.

So, congrats on finding a new home. You won't be disappointed, that's for sure.

-Dan

esoxaddict
09-07-2010, 12:35 PM
I made my first trip to AML back in 2007, after having to cancel my trip in 2006. In my mind it was going to be a "once in a lifetime" trip, something you do once and probably never again...

I made my reservations for the next year before I even left. Last summer I got laid off, lost my job. Cancelled everything except the trip to Andy Myers Lodge. This year we seriously considered cancelling again, because neither of us is working. We couldn't do it. We decided that no matter what, we HAD TO come up and fish. We're already trying to figure out how to make next year happen. The fishing is just that good! While I haven't gotten a "jumbo" yet, every year I am amazed at the number and size of fish we see. So far, my three biggest fish have come from Eagle; 47", 48" and 49.5". MANY fish in the 40# class raised, we've seen probably 30 fish over 50", and several fish that would easily go 55" and 50#.

Some years you hit it right and some years you don't, but it's just a matter of time until that big girl comes around. There are so many big fish it keeps you awake at night!

Welcome to the madness!

Nork06
09-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks Dan and Addict
This was a once in a life time trip and herbie tells me the fishing gets better. I believe him but I never want to anger the muskie gods by getting too greedy. I had the same experience of kicking back in the cabin with a couple of drinks and shaking our heads on how many big fish we saw or had a chance at.
I will make every effort to return every year, as long as it is possible I will make it to Andy Myers.

Nork

ahab
09-08-2010, 12:30 PM
was looking for a thread like this to get my fix until I can make it up there in about 2 1/2 weeks.
I grew up in Nebraska and spent many summers on Spider Lake in Hayward, Wis, trying, unsuccessfully, to catch big Muskies. I then got to go on a trip with my dad in the 80's to Leech Lake and fish for a week with an experienced local, but no luck at all. I then gave up Muskie fishing and have not tried in about 20 years. Instead, I've been going up to Alaska, learning to fly fish for salmon and rainbow, and the occasional lake trout or Northern. anyway, for a variety of reasons, I decided to try a fall Muskie trip. I was considering Northern Minnesota or Wisconsin, but have heard so many incredible stories about Meyers Lodge and Eagle Lake, I thought this was my best chance to find a large Musky. I am so excited to go up and let Steve's guys show me what to do and where to find fish. thanks all, for these great stories! 17days and counting.

Wendy
09-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Congrats on the fish - sweet picture! Isn't it something about the lodge - great people and seeing (and hopefully catching) great fish. You become hooked!