PDA

View Full Version : Fishing report for 8-16-10

walleyemaxx
08-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi everyone,

Guided out of Chippewa Shores resort Monday. In the A.M., I took two guys out, and in the P.M., I took two Gals out. In the morning, we got into action right away. Most action was jigging in and around weeds. We caught dozens of big blugills, a few dozen Bass, mostly Large mouth, some good quality Perch, some small Northerns, and two nice Walleyes.

The bait of choice was jig and leech. We did try to fish some sunken bogs, but the wind made fishing exceptionaly hard out in the open. So we stayed in more protected bays. The action didn't slow to much for most of the morning. We moved trying to find Walleyes, and kept catching Bass , Blugills. Northerns, and perch. The Perch were good quality Perch in the 9" range, which made for a good pile of fillets when combined with the Walleyes.

In the afternoon, I had a real treat. I guided two ladies who are very good fisher people. With the wind making jigging very difficult, I decided that I would have the girls use bobber rods. As I started to explain how to jig the bobber line, they were doing it. I didn't have to explain how to give the fish time when the bobber went down, or to tighten up the line before setting the hook. these gals were very good fishers. Seems they spent a lot of time fishing with their dad when they grew up in Winona MN.

Action all afternoon was very good. Again the Blugills were non stop. We didn't catch the numbers of Bass or any Walleyes, but we got more and better quality Perch. The biggest Perch was 11". In all, for the day, we went thru a pound of leeches, and a dozen crawlers. that tells you how much action we had.

The weather was mostly sunny with very strong winds most of the day making for some bumpy boat rides as we moved around. The wind was howling out of the West-North West, which made coming out of Tyner into Chicago bay a lot of fun. The water temps were 72-74 degrees With cooler air temps,both during the day, and last night, I would expect the water temps to start cooling down. I didn't notice any bug hatches going on, and the algae bloom is still very thick. Lets hope that the water temps keep going down. That should increase the Walleye activity. I'm going to take my wife out fishing tonight. She's got me booked. Will be fishing a local lake. Will report tommorow.

Pictured are the gals with Blugills, and Tony and Tim with two nice Walleyes.

Good luck fishing everyone.

Walleyemaxx