PDA

View Full Version : Boreal Bay - Fishing Report - 8/15

Kevin Nelson
08-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Our week was mostly warm and humid with temps often in the 80's, that is until this weekend which had high temps in the low 60's. It felt great to cool off a little... but I'm looking forward to getting back to T-shirt weather already. Looks like one more cold day until the temperatures start to rise. The cold front is a sad reminder that summer will be ending soon and the kids will be headed back to school. This front is coming in with 20-25 MPH winds for a couple days and making things a little more difficult for the guests wanting to go find fish. Kakagi (Crow) Lake was reading mid 70's on this past Friday.

Walleye action on Stevens Bay area of Lake of the Woods was solid last week with mostly eating sized fish found by guests using bottom bouncers with worms.

Bass fishing included several 2-3 pound Bass on Kakagi and Bass Lake. Live bait and trolling both seem to be working.

Lake Trout bite continued during the summer patterns. Jigging and trolling groups were both doing well up until the winds came up making it tougher to fish big open water spaces. Best Lake Trout for the week was 8 pounds.

No one chasing Muskies this past week, but new arrivals will be after some this week. Something big was lost from the docks this afternoon... the fish was not seen... but a rather heavy pull, so speculation exists about that darn big muskie that relaxes around our docks has probably escaped again!

Northern Pike were a tough find for guests looking for them on Bass Lake... but an 8 pounder was caught.

With a little bit of luck, our Lodge remodel project may see a roof late this coming week. The four walls on the upper level are now all standing. The lake views from the lower and upper level of the Lodge are going to be enjoyed by many in the years ahead.

On a side note - Does anyone have a power head or block for a 1999 or newer 125 HP Mercury they are looking to sell? My block cracked on one cylinder which is a very rare item and the rest of the motor looks and runs like new, including all the original paint still on the skeg. Let me know as I'm hoping to find one this week.

We should be in good shape for cabins being available in the weeks ahead, but please let us know at least a few days in advance so we can have the cabins ready. As time permits, we are working in some small projects on several of the cabins and will be shutting down cabins quickly this fall. We have been experiencing an odd season in that we have turned away roughly 30 groups many of which are driving in looking for cabins without advance reservations.... some of these requests we could have easily accommodated if they had called a couple days earlier.

Regards,