PDA

View Full Version : Post Your August 2010 Trip Reports Here

Justin Gaudry
08-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Wow!! July when by like a speeding bullet and we are in the home stretch of summer. August can be an awesome time of year to be on the lake as kids start to get ready to go back to school and lots of family vacation trips are over....the serious fishing can begin again. With fewer people on the lake from about the middle of August through ice up, you can bet the fish will be in a hungry mood often.

Let's here how you did in August. It doesn't matter if you have your own place, stay with friends, come to the resort or even stay somewhere else. Just let us know what you saw and experienced during your time on the lake this month.

There will still be great fishing opportunities for all species so get out there and catch some fish!

brianpete
08-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Our trip overlapped July and August and it was fantastic. We arrived late July 29th and left for home on August 2nd. The reefs seemed best early in the day. We pulled spinners with leeches or minnows. They both worked great. I caught the biggest walleye in our boat, a 29.5 in on a spinner and leech. My wife caught her personnel best on Saturday ( 26 in. ) then shattered that with a 28 in. beauty on Sunday. We also had a 25 and several over 20. We totaled over 200 walleye and sauger over the weekend. Reef fishing is unreal when the weather cooperates. Hope to be back this month.

ps. Justin I hope you got the picture of my 29.5 from my phone.

manitoba musky
08-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks to Justin and his family for hosting our Sabaskong outing. The service and facilities were phenomenal and the Gaudry family and crew were the perfect hosts. The Canadian Esox Association crew of 8 managed to boat 11 muskies in two days and have quite a few eye popping follows. All of the muskies were caught on points, humps, and reefs. The sizes of the muskies caught were 45, 44, 44, 42, 40, 40, 40, 38, 38, 36.5, & 29. A couple of 40+ muskies were lost at boatside so we can’t count those. If we had another day or two our numbers would have doubled. We were just getting familiar with the area and we had to leave, but we will be back.

I fished barbless the whole time. I got a hook in my leg a few weeks ago and, while lying in the Kenora hospital for 6 hours, I promised the musky that I would fish barbless. The musky told me that I will lose a few if I did that but it would be worth it. Twice, as I had to break from casting to pinch the barbs on the lure, I thought to myself, “I should just fish barbed,” then I told myself, “No, you promised the musky that you would pinch your barbs.” Both times I ended up catching a musky shortly after…spooky. I have fished barbless my whole life in Manitoba (where it is the law) but the 40 inch pike that I caught at the Bus Stop on the way down to Mylies, followed by the four muskies that I caught, were the first of my fishing barbless in Ontario catches. I only lost one boat side but that happens with barbed hooks too.

The trip down was a great experience. A group of us boated down from Shoal Lake. The weather was perfect for travel there and back. What an awesome trip. I would love to do it again…soon.

Here is a breakdown of distance from Mylies to Shoal, travelling an average of 34 mph.

Mylies to Boomstick 10 min…8.3 miles - 13.3 kilometres

Mylies to Naongashing 25 minutes – 15 miles - 24.1 kilometres

Mylies to East Long 35 minutes – 19.3 miles – 31 kilometres

McPherson to Bishop Bay (Bishop Light) 25 minutes – 15 miles - 24.1 kilometres

Mylies to Big Narrows Lodge 47 miles - 75.6 kilometres

Big Narrows to Shoal Lake 38.89 miles – 62.5 kilometres

Mylies to Shoal Lake (85.89 miles – 138.26 kilometres) (18.76 US gallons – 71 litres)

mlures
08-15-2010, 05:27 AM
We had a very pleasent two weeks at our trailer at Mylie's again. Walleye fishing wasn't quite as good as previous trips but we did catch a lot of fish and way too many over 20 inches. Largest was 27" (caught by my wife of course). All our fish were caught on spinners (Hammered Gold or Copper) with either crawlers or minnows. Most were caught on rocky points or off reefs, usually 15-20 FOW. We did manage 15 Crappies but couldn't really find the schools this time. Planned on fishing muskies but spent too much time picking blueberries (took home 12 gallons). Heading back after Labor Day. Duck season begins on the 10th.
Dick Moore

Paul F
08-18-2010, 08:28 AM
We had great fishing last week as usual, fishing rocky shore lines and reefs were holding lots of fish. This trip we used worms and spinners but heard of the same results with minnows. The largest walleye was 26 in. and many in the 20 to 22in range. My cousins from Colo. and Virginia had the time of their lives. It was the first time up for them, it took them a day or so to catch on but they got the hang of it. My neice and her Dad were also up for their trip. I could not have got all the meals perfect with out her help.

Will be up to close the first week of Oct. to close, hope the crappies are starting to school.

Eastwind
08-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Just completed 3 days of fishing at LOW. Limited with decent fish each day. One of us got a 28" today. All in all, good fishing for a late August trip.

Justin Gaudry
08-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey Everyone,

Great discussion on the bottom bouncing stuff. I made a new thread for it to be on its own.

Keep up the great stuff!

rbc
08-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Just got back from a few days in the Morson area. Split our time between walleyes and muskies. Walleye fishing was steady on and just off of the reefs. Biggest 26.5", lost 2 other real nice ones. Also caught a 15" crappie on a reef. Muskie fishing was pretty good and we ended up with 7. Biggest 44" on a topwater which was a lot of fun. Unfortunately wont be back up until October to troll for muskies.