PDA

View Full Version : Walleyemaxx fishing report for 7-31-10

walleyemaxx
07-31-2010, 11:03 PM
Hi everyone,

Fished around home today. Had a honet-do list to do, so I thought I'd take my bride out fishing after I got that done. I took her to a local vilas county lake to fish for Walleyes.

Due to 8 years of drought, the lake is really suffering. It's a small spring fed lake that is now down a good four feet. The landing is just barely useable. That is how a lot of lakes in the Vilas county area are now. 4 years ago the DNR put the Walleye population estimate at 7 Walleyes per acre on this lake. Now the latest study put it at 2 Walleyes per acre.

Still, it is one of my favorites. We had about 3hours to fish and made the most of it. Between the jetskiers, and the waterskiers and the tubers, we were able to catch a few quality fish. Using jigging rods and bobber rods,we caught only one small Walleye, but a total of 4 Small mouth Bass. 2 of which were really quality fish. 1-19", 1-18".

Fished at the end of a sand bar that juts way out into the lake. At the base of the dropoff is a crib with lots of cabbage weeds. Over the years I've been able to catch every thing that swims in the lake in this spot. But it has always been especially good for Walleyes and Bass. Used Leeches and Crawlers, and had the best action on the Leeches. We had several more hits that we missed, but didn't mind. We got a chance to spend some quality time together. Watching the sunset with the wife was special. I have to try to take her out fishing more. Like they say,"any excuse to go fishing is a good one".
Enjoy your fishing everyone. If you are in need of a guide, give me a call, or email. We can set up a fishing trip.

Walleyemaxx