PDA

View Full Version : 7/31 Fishing Report

Gene Dellinger
07-31-2010, 09:30 PM
With water temperatures in the low 80's, the bluegill bite on Lake Monona continues to be the best action on the Madison Chain. Most of the muskie fisherman have suspended their pursuit due to the warmer water temperatures. Some areas to look for bluegills include in front of Olbrich Park, Wyldehaven, Slueter Beach, Hudson Park, between Olen and Turville Point, and in front of the rock pile. Look for most of the action to occur in 12'-18' of water. Some reports have also come in finding fish suspended in 12'-14' of water.

Lake Mendota small mouth fisherman have been struggling somewhat, but have reported sporadic action in several areas on the lake. Try fishing the weed edges off of Picnic Point, Second Point, and Burely Bar. Shore fisherman have reported success on white bass in the evenings off of the Tenny Park break water, and in front of the Warner Bay boat landing. Cat fisherman have been finding success in North Shore Bay and Cherokee Marsh, as well as occasionally off of Governer's Island.

Lake Waubesa pan fisherman continue to struggle, but do occasionally land some nice sized blue gills. Musky fisherman have been experiencing some success, though locations have been sparse.

Lake Kegonsa has been producing some nice sized bluegills and perch along the weed lines, though the bite has been hit or miss.

Raw-Tracks
08-03-2010, 08:50 PM
With water temperatures in the low 80's, the bluegill bite on Lake Monona continues to be the best action on the Madison Chain. Most of the muskie fisherman have suspended their pursuit due to the warmer water temperatures. Some areas to look for bluegills include in front of Olbrich Park, Wyldehaven, Slueter Beach, Hudson Park, between Olen and Turville Point, and in front of the rock pile. Look for most of the action to occur in 12'-18' of water. Some reports have also come in finding fish suspended in 12'-14' of water.

Can you recommend some techniques for those bluegills in 12'-18'? Just drop your line over the side of the boat and jig the bottom? I've been casting out with bobbers. But even with slip bobbers, it's hard to stay on the bottom. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

D.W.
08-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Right over the side of the boat should work fine. If you have a locator try to figure out how deep the fish are. I have seen them on the bottom in 20 FOW and 8 foot down in 14 FOW. A plain hook and some spit shot is an easy setup. Drifting over an area, if the wind isn't too strong, as opposed to anchoring can work well. 1/2 a medium sized worm or Gulp should put a fish fry in the boat. Small jigs like a Minnie Mite will also work. Let us know how you did.Good Luck, D.W.

Raw-Tracks
08-09-2010, 04:32 PM
OK, tried Gulp Maggots for the first time this past Thursday night. Jigged them right off the bottom in about 14ft of water. Within minutes I had some action. Hooked into something big! At first I thought a larger walleye or maybe even a northern. The way that thing hugged the bottom for the first 10 minutes, I then started thinking catfish.

I was about 10 minutes into the fight and still hadn't seen the fish. I had him close to the surface, then boom, straight to the bottom again. Finally, I saw it. A big carp, hooked in the tail! This thing was at least 10lbs. Probably more like 15. I didn't have a net and I was by myself, so I'm trying to unhook him while grabbing onto the tail. Not easy. Finally while trying to unhook him, the line broke and he was gone.

It was a fun fight, but I sure wish it would have been a northern. Luckily I was using fairly heavy tackle. Medium action rod with plenty of 12lb test, tied to a leader of 6lb test tied to the jig.

That was the only action in the 2 hour trip. I plan to spend the whole day out there on Friday. Hopefully some better luck then.