PDA

View Full Version : July 15th Report

Rob Manthei
07-15-2010, 06:47 AM
Walleye activity has slowed, but a bite of large fish has been on, which is kinda weird....with water temps 10 to 15 degrees warmer than this time last year, the upper 70's isn't helping us...

I am finding fish deep around sand/gravel humps, sandgrass, and the deepest coontail edges...crawlers and leeches fished "clean" as possible is the ticket...6 lb test(Floruocarbon) with just a split shot and hook and slip bobbers with a 1/32 oz jighead (colored for attraction)....fish are spooky....catch a few and move on, return later...

Muskies have been the most consistant....morning, daytime, nighttime, etc...feeding windows are opening up at weird times, but as long as they are opening, who cares...weededges, deep bars, open water...it has all produced...one thing that is for sure, large minnow baits and jerkbaits are the ticket for me...along with Bulldawgs...Suicks, Grandmas, Slammers, Jakes are the best lure for me.

With the above 75 degree water temps, I STRONGLY urge minimal handling of fish out of water(if any)....seconds can mean a lot....leave the fish in the net and unhook...cut hooks if necessary....a couple of mid 30 inch fish didn't even get the photos taken due to the excessive water temps and were just water released...

Watched a 43 incher die the other day due to this exact situtation from an angler(wasn't in my boat)...Basically wasn't prepared to handle the fish...if you are going to musky fish, be prepared for all situations...these are the least populated fish in the lake and demand respect from fisherman.

Congrats to Josh Vieth on a super dandy musky!!! You look good in that Lund!
Good Luck!