PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Youth Event

eheyob
07-12-2010, 12:08 PM
APPROXIMATELY 100 COLUMBUS-AREA YOUTHS TO PARTICIPATE IN FISHING EVENT

COLUMBUS, OH - The Central Ohio Chapter of Muskies, Inc. will host its annual youth fishing event on Thursday, July 15th from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Whetstone Park in Columbus. Approximately 100 youths, who are participants in Columbus Recreation and Parks summer programs, are expected to attend this event.

The Central Ohio Chapter of Muskies, Inc. organizes this event, with the help of the Columbus Recreation and Parks Department, to coincide with a Hooked on Fishing, Not on Drugs (HOFNOD) program aimed at directing youths toward positive activities and away from drug use. For some youths, Thursday’s event may be their first fishing experience.

A $500 Division of Wildlife Step Outside Grant, along with a generous donation from Integrated Leadership Systems (ILS) in Westerville helped to purchase channel catfish to stock in the pond, food for the kids and to present each participant in the HOFNOD program with their own rod and reel to use for future fishing trips. Many Muskies, Inc. club members and staff from Columbus Recreation and Parks will be on hand to serve food and assist the kids with fishing.

This annual event is a cooperation between the Central Ohio Chapter of Muskies, Inc., the Columbus Recreation and Parks Department, and the Division of Wildlife.

-30-

For Further Information Contact:

The Central Ohio Chapter of Muskies, Inc.

Rob VanGorder, 740-225-1152

Elmer Heyob, 614-265-6347

-or-

Columbus Recreation and Parks

George Wilson, 614-645-3158

-or-

Integrated Leadership Systems (ILS)

Steve Anderson, 614-563-5521

alleycatlures
07-14-2010, 07:20 PM
For those that were unable to attend last nights meeting, we discussed our upcoming event for tomorrow. We are in need of as many members as possible to help out with assembling rods (approx 4:30pm) and help with baiting hooks, removing fish and using your professional de-tangling skills, (this is where those that continually have 4 rods tangled while trolling really shine!). Elmer noted that a pair of gloves, pliers and a towel would be handy. Hope to see you there.

Cliff

Rob VanGorder
07-15-2010, 09:12 AM
I just talked to Elmer. He's at the park and they are delivering the catfish. He says they look great. He said the tables in the shelter house where we will cook for the kids, as well as around the lake are no longer there. If anyone has a card table or some other portable camping table to bring, it would be appreciated.

The plan is to start the assembly and rigging of the rods and reels we are giving the kids around 4:30 PM. The kids will be showing up around 5:30 PM. See you tonight.

alleycatlures
07-17-2010, 10:08 AM
We had a great turnout, thanks to all that helped out. I returned to the park last night with my son and some of his friends and they had a blast with the cats! I saw some kids/parents that were there for the event fishing again last night, THEY'RE HOOKED !!

Cliff