PDA

View Full Version : Post Your July 2010 Trip Reports Here

Justin Gaudry
07-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Time for some July reports.

Action has been great already this month for walleyes and muskies. First few days have given us multiple big walleyes and lots of muskie action up to 48".

Summer patterns should start to prevail as water temps holding over 70 degrees.

Let's here how you did out there. It doesn't matter where you stay in the area, just let us know how you did fishing!

Have a great July everyone.

fastcast2
07-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi Justin
It was an ok trip.9 muskies with a 48 and a 44 the biggest.They started on rocks and then back to weeds for a few days and then back on submerged rock.A 10" believer in the weeds was the hot bait,but a manns twitch bait caught the most.A great throw back bait and for figure 8s.Saw 1 big one on pure sand ,no weeds.Storms,wind and 94 degree weather made it tough.We will be back up on the 16th for 3 weeks.Hope to get better weather.
Jeff

JSONDAG
07-09-2010, 08:54 AM
He Justin, we will be back up Sunday. It will be myself, Kyle, and my buddy and partner in EA Dave. If you still want to get out on Thursday, we can definitely do that. We are going to head home friday afternoon.

See you Sunday!

Jerry

Justin Gaudry
07-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Hey Jerry,

Sounds good. I now may be able to be more flexible so we can figure out what might work best for you guys and go from there. I'll sharpen some hooks!

See you soon.

jerken jimi
07-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Justin,
Thanks again for a great stay, although the fish weren't moven that good for us, still enjoyed every minute up there !!! THANKS !!!:D

P.S...Sorry to hear about the Pooh mobile... You never really know 5' feet either way, right or left, we all would probably be amazed at how close to those rocks we go past & not even know they are there !! Not much your gonna do :(

Nic Satre
07-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Well, this trip more than made up for my "fair" early June trip. We had decent weather and excellent fishing. Most of our walleye fishing was on deep rock shores and deep rock reef. Jiggin worked best with minnow and gulp. We had a great day out West as well, but in shallower water and trolling spinners. Seemed like the fish were everywhere. I went crappie fishing three days and did good to excellent as far as July crappies go. Day one I ended up with 20 or so. The other two days was at least double. It just took a little bit to figure them out. 1/8oz jig a minnows fished real slow in 25-35ft worked well. The big perch were with them too (no worms either). I didn't get to muskie fish that much because of a stupid foot injury with three days left in the trip. Oh Well there's always September.

rbc
07-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Had a pretty good week muskie fishing. Saw fish every time out and ended up landing 5 over the week. Should have been closer to 10 but you know how that goes. Better action in the weeds as opposed to the rocks. Back up the 21st or so.
Jason

Tom Wartman
07-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Hey Justin- It was nice to meet you last week, your advice was helpful and we ended up with 22 ski's between the 3 of us. Our best trip ever!

The biggest was a 48.5 that my brother Tim caught on the Grinder that he just had to have, purchased from Mylies of course. He moved alot of fish with that bait and had some chances on real piggies with it, and finally connected the last day with the big'un.

We couldn't buy a bite with a bucktail at the begining of the week but that changed once the weather stabilized, I think it was the 4 days of w, sw winds at 10-15 mph that cranked them up.

We caught fish on a little of everything from phantoms, (I have a love hate relationship with phantoms) , hellhounds, bulldawgs, assorted bucktails, Grinders, wtd topwaters and prop topwater baits.
Thanks again for the advice and we will stop in next year!

rockjumper
07-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Hi Justin,
Awsome trip last week (July 2nd through July 9th). We have been going up to Morson area for over 11 years now, and last week was one of the best summer trips we have had. Fishing was excellent on the local reefs. We caught fish on the reef tops in 8 foot of water down to 20 foot. I'll say that past trips have produced bigger "hogs", but this trip was consistent. Each day on the water produced at least one 25 to 26 inch walleye and MANY walleyes between 20 and 26. The "eater" class of fish seemed to be running a bit larger in the 16 to 18 inch range. Mainly fished 3/8 oz jigs with either a leech or a minnow (the fish did not have a preference). Toward the end of the week, the wind picked up, and the jig action slowed. Decided to go to spinners and bottom bouncers. Many fish caught on spinners in a 3 hour period with the largest being two 20 inchers, two 23 inchers, and a 26. Always have that spinner in your back pocket!! The highlight of the trip was watching my 6 year old reel in a 19.5 incher. Need to start counting total fish boated per day because I'm guessing there were a couple days where we were approaching 100.

Remeber that I owe you for a launch next time we are up. As of now we are planning on August 6th through August 13th. Hope the fishing is half as good!

As always, thanks for the boat launch and storage. Great shed!

Scott

skihunterpete
07-13-2010, 11:40 AM
My Dad, buddy & I had a nice week again at Mylies chasing Muskies. Although we didnt boat alot of fish (11 total) the average size was nice being 8 out of the 11 were over 40". The largest two were 47" and 46.5". All came on jerk baits and top water. We moved some nice fish later in the week with bucktails, but they never would committ. Water surface temps were between 69 - 72. How many weeks to next year?

Justin Gaudry
07-15-2010, 07:56 AM
great reports guys, keep them coming.

Pete: what would odds be before you put the boat in that you wouldnt catch a single muskie on a bucktail during a trip. Wow.

Scott: Great to hear that switching gears sometimes gives excellent results. We need to keep that in mind out there.

Tom: Too funny that your bro got the big one on that spinner bait because when he said he wanted a grinder, i mentioned the original grinder has the willow blade and he had grabbed the bump & grind (colorado blade.) So he takes the black/silver willow blade grinder and pays for it, then comes back in 5 mins later asking if he could exchange it for the one he had grabbed first because he liked that colour. Awesome that he got a real nice fish on it. Can't wait to get a fish to hammer that Big Mamma Twist'd Sister. It looks great in the water.

Jason: That's good action for you. The first year of chasing them is always the toughest. I remember my first year running around in a small resort boat trying to find fish....it's hard work and you are getting results already. Keep it up, it only gets better. Hopefully we can get out sometime this year.

JSONDAG
07-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Well, we landed 7 in 3 days and lost another half dozen or so - with the hot water temps, it seemed that a lot of the smaller muskies were in the forefront of activity. We caught several 35-43 inchers - As the trip progressed we started to find some larger fish on rock spines and wind current breaks adjacent to sandy bays. We had to dodge the "Green Paint" that was collecting in many of my favorite spots.

We lost an agitated four footer at the boat... I was waiting for my net man who was moving in some serious slow motion. Just as we were locating multiple large fish, I hit a rock and took out my lower unit, thus ending our trip.

The water levels were way up and a lot of those no brainer rocks are pretty well hidden. I should have my boat back tomorrow and we'll hopefully be headed back up to Sabaskong on tuesday.

Justin Gaudry
07-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Finally got someone to look at my motor this morning. Makes me wish I could insure with people in the US!

Were not going to talk about going fishing together because something always goes wrong!

I'll keep my pole in the dockhouse just in case. HA!

Eastwind
07-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Fished with my brother Wednesday thru Friday. Did well on bigger 'Eyes, 18" thru 27" on Wed & Thurs. West and Southwest of Morson. Even went down to the Three Sisters, kinda just for the ride. Not the usual July numbers of fish but the average size was better than usual. Storm and cold front came thru Thursday afternoon. Friday was slow but weather was more comfortable. Was up in Miles Bay on Friday and had to try more than a dozen spots, only getting one to three fish per and only getting skunked on two spots all day. Winds stayed decent each of the three days. My brothert was visiting from Mass. and the 27" was his biggest 'Eye ever. Just shows what a good guide will do for the tourists. ;-)

JSONDAG
07-25-2010, 11:14 PM
JUly 22-24 we arrived @ Sabaskong for our second leg of our trip. We landed 16 muskies up to 48.5 inches. We lost another half dozen or so. The capper was a 45 inch pike that ate a double cowgirl boatside. Blades were the hot ticket, but Musky Buster Lowriders were a hot bait as well when the water was glass calm. Weedy bays were still holding the most fish but we saw several on the rocks. Check out my photos!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pelican-Rapids-MN/Jerry-Sondags-HEADSHAKER-Guide-Service/380916983451?ref=ts

Hopefully we'll be back in September!

P.S. - Note to self - Remind me never to fish LOTW during the Musky Hunter school again. We were cut off by MH campers like I was fishing the north end of Mille Lacs, then, twice I was slowly pulling into a bay when I had a boat whiz past me and drop it's trolling motor under 100 feet away. It was ridiculous for any lake, but LOTW?... It was down right rude.

2RodneyLaCaze
07-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Since I browsed here for some help before I went up, the least I can do is to put my report here for all to see and hopefully use.
Thank you to all the guys and gals who posted here before my trip...

We arrived to the Morson area Friday morning after one of the worst travel days possible...but that is another story all together. We walleye fished first, and once we found fish a bit deeper (18-22') we easily caught enough for shore lunch...nothing better than a walleye sandwich on the banks of LOTW!!!
We easily caught 20-30 fish in 2 hours...they wanted a pink jig and minnow real bad.
After catching the walleye's we fished for Northerns for a bit, then all my attention was on the Muskies!!
The fish I found were definately rock related....this was my first trip to the Morson area of LOTW, all other trips were on the Northwest Angle. The fish seemed to be VERY spot on the spot specific this weekend and they were tougher to find than I expected.
Black and green Shumway Flasher was the bait that moved the most fish.
I ended the weekend with 5 fish in the boat...great for 3 days on the water in my opinion...sizes ranged form a baby 29" to a nice 45"... saw 3 fish that were in the 48-50" range but they didn't cooperate.

Thanks again for any help you guys put here before the trip!
Rodney LaCaze

Rich
08-03-2010, 02:55 PM
We were up with the families for the week and had quite a bit of activity for the time we put in. The kids had a blast with smallmouths on shad raps and even had some musky action. One 32" was caught and one very interested fish followed a shad rap three times to the boat. Must have been on a diet and didn't want that one piece of popcorn since he wouldn't even eat the shad rap.

We sought out clearer water, which is where we saw most of our fish. Several areas were really starting to green up and in calm water the paint showed up. My 13 year old son out did all of us catching a 47" on a rock shelf using a jerk bait. It was his personal best and quite a thrill. In all we saw around 40 fish, but only boated 4. I lost 7 myself, with 6 of those hitting boatside (at least 4 were in the 4 ft class). Lots of follows, many times mutiple from the same fish. Only a few crushed the baits with several just nipping the back of the blade baits, barely getting one tine of the treble in the edge of their lip. Blades continued to be the ticket, but did get action on topwater and jerkbait. Seemed that the rock points were holding most of the fish we contacted.