PDA

View Full Version : June 29 fishing report

JENS
06-29-2010, 11:22 PM
I went out yesterday and it was a battle all day. I just couldn't seem to put anything together. Finally around 8pm I called it a day and had only caught a few small ones.
Today started out about the same I went out on the east side. I was trying to cover water and hit different depths, 10-23 fow. I tried weed edges with jigs&leeches,dragging jigs across bogs, river channels, and nothing produced. I remembered a spot that I fished last year this time of year that had fish on it so I gave it a try. It was close to where I had been fishing recently. It was hump with wood in 13 fow that was next to some weeds. I tried throwing a jig & leech and got no action. I had a dead stick over the side and I caught an 'eye on it. So I set out a slip bobber and that dead stick the action never stopped. I caught bluegill, a few real nice perch, 5 sm. mouth, and a bunch of walleye the biggest being 2-15"
I don't know why but it didn't seem like they wanted a jig & leech right on the bottom, it had to be vertical and at least a foot off the bottom.
Jens

walleyemaxx
06-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Hi JENS,

Thanks for that excellent report. Walleyes are slow right now, and I believe it is because of the huge amount of natural forage out there right now.

All last week I saw a lot ot huge schools of bait fish on the locator screen. The Walleyes don't have to chase any thing to far to get fed. Maybe that is why the 'dead stick' is so effective. I call that the 'shotgun rod'. just hang a bait down below the boat. I think a lot of times Walleyes will follow your jig and leech back to the boat and won't touch it. But they see that bait just hanging there, and figure they will just suck in an easy meal.

Keep up the excellent work, and keep those reports coming. I won't be back on the Flowaage untill the 10th due to previous engagements closer to home. I'll be making reports from here.

Walleyemaxx

Blueberry
06-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Hey Maxx, Thanks for the compliment. FM and I just spend alot of time chasing the fish out there. I think that is why we have occasional good luck. We both still hold candles to most of the "Regulars" that fish the Great Chip.
You had us pegged as being a little worked up about that musky FM lost at boatside. WOW!!!!!! What a fish!!!!!
We are headed up thursday night for a glorious 11 days at the lake. We will be trying to get over to the Chip as much as possible during our time up there. FM says we cannot give up on the 40 #er. "we are gonna get him" he said to me.
So we will be knocking on his door a few times and hopefully he answers the door for FM. (He deserves to finally break that ice)
We will also be lookin hard in all of our little haunts for some of those eyes that have been so very elusive for us this year. It seems as though we are only able to boat a couple of those at a time. Nothing like last year.
Take care Maxx and hope to see ya out on the water next week sometime to exchange a few tails from the Chip.

walleyemaxx
07-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Hi Blueberry,

You and F.M. do very well on the fishing. I have no doubt that F.M. will eventually catch muskies regularily because of his desire. It's fun to talk to the young man because his enthusiasim is contagious. A lot of times, it puts things in perspective. We old duffers tend to take things to serious. Your raising the young man right. Fishing is a great way to bond with your kids.

I won't be back to the Flowage untill the 10th. Have some prior commitments around home. I'll be posting reports about this area. But I hope to see you guys than. Remember to post reports on your fishing. I look forward to seeing F.M. getting his first Flowage Musky.

Walleyemaxx

Nick Kanauz
07-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Hey Guys!
Try this one...it worked for me with the bait fish schools and I could see the bigger fish on my graph. Put on a Firetiger colored 2" shallow Shad Rap, and put a 1/8 or 1/4oz split shot three to four feet in front of it. It got down to the bait fish and the eyes couldn't resist the wiggle I guess...but it worked! Fished in 10 to 14' of water. Best fishes everyone!

walleyemaxx
07-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the tip Nick.

I'll definatly be trying that trick. The wobble on some crankbaits invoke strikes from Walleyes. Getting the bait down to the deeper Walleyes is the key.

Walleyemaxx