PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Fishing Report: June 19 - 26, 2010

Justin Gaudry
06-27-2010, 02:25 PM
The weather stabilized and the fishing turned ON!

Walleyes were snapping on the rocks starting about Monday. Several guests caught personal best fish. The biggest walleyes of the week were 29.5" and 29.75". The 29.5" will take over as the largest release of the year for the guests-only contest. The 29.75" was also caught and released by a long-time park & launch customer that stays at his family cabin. Well done by both anglers.

Reefs were the main structure reported, but rock shorelines and points were also in the mix as well. Another group reported some walleyes coming out of the reed edges over weeds. Casting small spinnerbaits was the ticket for these fish and the report was of nice average size.

Several anglers (including some guides) I spoke to mentioned fishing areas and spots that had never fished before. Again this week, some of these more out of the way, or not so obvious spots were excellent in terms of holding fish. Keep it in mind when you are out there and see a couple of boat sitting on a spot you had hoped to fish.

Muskies were quite active starting Monday as well. First reports were that the bigger fish were in the weeds and smaller on the rocks, but by the time the weeknd rolled around, some anglers were reporting the opposite. Big bucktails and spinner baits of all sizes seemed to bring fish to the boat and several into the net. Had a very large fish caught this week by a young angler and hope to get the story on the board soon. Many other fish in the low to high 40s were landed as well. Colours were all over the map with golds and shinier stuff working earlier in the week with the sun out. Bronze based moved fish for a couple of boats later in the week. Top water also created some action in terms of following fish so keep that in mind as well.

Northerns and smallies weren't targeted as much as the other two main species, but several nice fish were caught this past week as well.

Another boat reported catching some nice walleyes in the reed edges over weeds with spinner baits. I've heard that amost enough times to call it a pattern.

The week ahead shows some warm temps in the forecast. After a thunderboomer Saturday night, we will expect a day or two for things to settle in and get back in the hot groove.

I hope to get out on the water once or twice during the week so perhaps I can have some first hand information for everyone.

Good luck on the waters you fish this week. We would love ot see you on Lake of the Woods at some point in the near future.

JSONDAG
06-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Hey Justin, we will be coming back up tomorrow. There will be four of us (2 rigs). We will be launching at Mylies. Should be there between 12-1. Be there until the 2nd!

See you tomorrow!

Jerry

Justin Gaudry
06-27-2010, 07:41 PM
JS,

Looking forward to having you launch and park at Mylie's for the first time. I'll polish up the John Deere and even wash off some of the bird shit for ya.

HA!

I hope to get out tomorrow afternoon myself. My Uncle has been guiding a bit the last week and has a couple nice ones waiting for us that his guests couldn't get to eat. I'll talk to you Tuesday morning when you come over about what we found out there if we get out.

Action has been good this week, but a couple of thunder boomers came through last night and today so we'll see what that does to them.

Wendell G.
07-01-2010, 02:50 AM
I will be back up there again starting on Sunday afternoon thru Saturday the 10th. Don't worry, 'Pooh II' will be along. Maybe if you have some free time next week, I'll let you drive it if you show me some muskie hot spots. Anyway, take care and we can't wait to get back up there.

Justin Gaudry
07-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Hey Wendell,

We'll have to see if I can sneak away one afternoon....I will get my pants and shirt steam cleaned and pressed and my church shoes polished just in case I get to ride along.

Would be very cool to cast out of that beautiful piece of machinery.

Travel safe. See you soon.