PDA

View Full Version : Texas Chapter Report

Sid Chigger
06-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Hey Jeremy - Fill us in on your trip up when ya get a chance.. How was fishing? What worked? What didn't? Did Matt play his banjo for ya? :-)

We check in 3 weeks from today! Can't wait!

Jeremy Hopland
06-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Well Sid, I'm jealous of you... 49 weeks and 2 days till we leave!!! :D

Sorry it's taken so long to post this report, but we didn't get back until late Saturday and between trying to get things back to normal at home and work, this is the first opportunity I've had to sit down...

By my (not so lofty) standards, this was my most productive (Muskie) fishing vacation to date; two Muskie boated, several follows and I've now laid eyes on the one I've been looking for (my "Fred"). I know where I'll be starting and ending each and every fishing day next year.

My lure of choice was the Mepps Musky Marabou, black with the orange spinner. I tried throwing the double cowgirl in the same colors, but couldn't even find a follow... I did throw a BIG (and I forget the brand) soft plastic perch imitation in a kind of "electric perch" color that did draw attention one evening, but the fish "swung and missed". I'm not sure if it was my inability to really give the other lures a chance, or if it was just the "hot" lure, but everything happened on that black/orange blade bucktail and only in that one size.

The weather was a bit tough, with the first few days showing highs in the upper 50's or low 60's and constantly drizzling. Then things went on a roller coaster, one day would be cool and rainy, then the next would be sunny and warm, but windy. Never really had a "perfect" day for fishing, but oh well, it still beat working.

The trip wasn't without one bit of bad luck... The second Muskie I caught got completely "hog-tied" in the net when I brought it over the side of the boat. As fate would have it, my hook cutter wouldn't cut the hooks and all of my best efforts to get the fish out of the net proved fruitless. I wound up having to cut the bottom out of the net to get the fish out. It still took me way to long to get the fish extricated from what was left of the net and I don't think the fish made it... It was a complete bummer! Final count that day: 1 net ($139.99 from Rollie and Helen's), 1 favorite lure ($13.99 from Rollie and Helen's), 1 hook cutter ($54.99 from Rollie and Helen's) and one fish that almost certainly became Eagle food (priceless :mad: ).

All in all, it was a great trip though. Had a blast with the guys doing the RFRG radio show both Sundays I was there, and they couldn't have been more hospitable. Now I can't wait for next year!!!

Hope your trip goes at least as well as mine (minus the bad luck).

Sid Chigger
06-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Countin down already huh?? Don't blame ya one bit! LOL

Thank ya for the report Jeremy! I've been there in the middle of summer, in the upper 50's drizzle too and it's just plain cold to us southerners.. Gotta pack for two seasons! Ha!!

Man, that sure was one stretch of bad luck ya had there - I'm sure R & H appreciated the biz though..

*smilin* at "my Fred"!! I hope ya get 'im next time Buddy! I actually had a dream the other night that I was fishing for Fred, felt a good tug but he got off and when I got the bait back to the boat there was a sticky note on one of the hooks that said "Not this time, Chigger" LOLOL

Mark Benson
06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
You two are priceless!!!

Sorry I missed you Jeremy... Looking forward to the chance again Sid...

Jeremy, Sorry for your loss on both counts, missing your "Fred" and...

As a side note not every musky is going to make it, no matter how hard we try, it just serves as a lesson as to how fragile life really is. And that is why if they ever told me "Mark you can only fish or hunt", there is no question in my mind that I would fish!!!

Mark

Sid Chigger
06-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Most any night, after dark you'll find us on the porch @ 101.. And we'll be in Boondockers for the start of the radio show those two Sundays as well... Otherwise we'll be on the water - Look for us in one of the WEL pontoons!

Occifer Kevin, you still planning on coming up for a night or two??

Eagle 1
06-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi guys, nice tiger!!! Brad

Jeremy Hopland
06-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the support guys!!! ...and Mark, I know my "Fred" will be waiting there for me next year, and she'll be a year bigger (and unfortunately a year wiser). As far as the "other" bad luck, I hope with my new "upgraded" release equipment, I won't experience that sick feeling again.

Occifer Kevin
07-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Most any night, after dark you'll find us on the porch @ 101.. And we'll be in Boondockers for the start of the radio show those two Sundays as well... Otherwise we'll be on the water - Look for us in one of the WEL pontoons!

Occifer Kevin, you still planning on coming up for a night or two??

Still planning on it Sid!! Not sure yet if it will be for the day or for a couple. depends on what Rania needs me to do around the house!! Gotta make sure the woman is happy or she won't let me go!!! =)

Sid Chigger
07-06-2010, 06:18 AM
10-4.. Hope the to do is a short one!! :-)

dug1
07-08-2010, 04:54 PM
When is occifer Kevin comin, maybe he can join the HOOTINANNY!!
And Jeremy, pete is going to love you at the "shop" in 48? weeks.

Jeremy Hopland
07-08-2010, 05:07 PM
When is occifer Kevin comin, maybe he can join the HOOTINANNY!!
And Jeremy, pete is going to love you at the "shop" in 48? weeks.

Pete (Rollie & Helen's) already got all my money this year... I would venture to guess that I've got more money invested in the sport of Muskie fishing than anyone else in the state of Texas! (probably more than anyone south of the Mason/Dixon line :o )

Sid Chigger
07-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Certainly more than ME!! :D

dug1
07-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Sid, drive safe bud!! I'll seeyah in 101.Jeremy, you and I both know if we stop at that place its an automatic 100 bucks!!!

Sid is use'in petes hand-me downs, so you two have a competion(sp) about spendin money on Muskies!!

Sid Chigger
07-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Hand me downs??

Nunt Ahh... The reels are brand new Shimano Cardiff's from R & H.. And Pete gave us a good deal too on 'em - plus a good deal on some unused Tooth Tamers he had around the farm.. (thank ya Stix)

Not sayin this is one "race" I particularly wanna win, though.. LOLOL

Instead, I'm lookin to beat him, with 3 "Freds" :-)

Jeremy Hopland
07-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Hand me downs??

Nunt Ahh... The reels are brand new Shimano Cardiff's from R & H.. And Pete gave us a good deal too on 'em - plus a good deal on some unused Tooth Tamers he had around the farm.. (thank ya Stix)

Not sayin this is one "race" I particularly wanna win, though.. LOLOL

Instead, I'm lookin to beat him, with 3 "Freds" :-)

It's not a race I particularly want to win either (I can guarantee you my wife doesn't want me to win).

Sid - I hope you get your three "Freds"! Good luck buddy!

Sid Chigger
07-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Thank ya Sir!!

Here's to tryin!!

*clink*

dug1
07-12-2010, 08:57 PM
...just givin ya grief, tell me about fred friday.Hope you win the race...

Sid Chigger
07-13-2010, 09:11 AM
This time tomorrow we should be across the mighty Ohio and near the corn in southern Illinois... WooHooo!!! Wausau tomorrow evening!

I just saw Matt's trying to get Occifer Price (game warden) in for the Radio Show on Sunday the 18th.. He was there last year when we were.. Is that a hint ya reckon?? I hope he doesn't wanna do cavity searches again... :D

Mark Benson
07-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Sid:

You and da rest of da Chiggers travel Safe on your nort to WI!!!

Mark

Sid Chigger
07-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Thank ya Mark! Hope to run into ya over the next several days..

We'll be the guys that talk funny.. :-)

Jeremy Hopland
07-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Sid - If y'all are gonna be in Wausau at dinner time, you gotta hit Sam's Pizza - try the shrimp and onion... If not Sam's, stop by my Uncle's place - Mickey's, it's right next to the WI river spillway. It's a pool hall/bar/restaurant, but the food is gourmet.

Sid Chigger
07-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Mickeys sounds like our kinda place! If there's anything left in the tank when we roll in bout 7p tomorrow night, we may get adventuresome and head that way.. Likely though we'll crash -*old coots* - so we can get up and going early Thursday... Derek says if 101 is ready we can get right in and if not we can get right on a boat - THANK YOU DEREK.. We hope to be on the water trying our new rod/reel rigs by 10a.. :-)

Occifer Kevin
07-13-2010, 02:10 PM
I wil be there Sunday night Sid. I will probably bring my boat up and get some fishing in on sunday afternoon as long as I don't get stuck at work too late on Saturday night. I'll look for ya at the radio show. We might even be able to get some time in on my boat on Monday if you're up for it!!

Sid Chigger
07-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Aww - Right Kevin - We'll see ya Sunday eve.. We'll plan on getting in there say 630p?? Hang for a bit then go do some sundown show fishin? Pickin and grinnin with Matt & Pete (and whoever else is around) after dark, sound good??

Monday - Got room for two Chiggers and a rather smallish dog named Bucky Badger?? LOLOL... We'll at least try to keep up with ya on the S.S. Chigger! Early up is cool..

Lookin forward to meeting ya Sir!!