PDA

View Full Version : A good muskie outing..

Ranger Rick
06-07-2010, 07:48 AM
After concentrating on guiding for walleyes since the opener, I had the itch to see if the muskies were biting. Although the conditions were not great with a cold north wind at 10 mph. We went fishing late yesterday afternoon. Hit the water at 4:45 pm. The H20 temp was 69 degrees. We started with small spinners, and I concentrated on a moderate retrieve speed to allow the bait to "tick" the weed tops on the retrieve.

It payed off, at 5:30 I "sent the news" to a beautiful 48 incher, we pictured her and sent her home. Shortly we had a follow from a 40 inch class fish. No dice. An hour later, Warren stuck a 38 to 40 incher that got off at the boat. Minutes later he landed a monster 24 incher. We left shortly after that.
Not a bad way to start the 2010 muskie season. I hope the water temps keep climbing, it should be a great musky year.

The air temperature was 53 degrees by that time.

Not a bad 3 hours of fishing. My point is the fact the water temperatures are pushing or at 70 degrees doesn't mean you necessarily should jump on the larger baits. In a cold front, down size and slow it down.

Guiding again today, ,,stay tuned for the escapades in Ranger Rick's Boat!

Good luck on the water,

Ranger Rick