PDA

View Full Version : The fishing is still holding up..

Ranger Rick
06-02-2010, 08:04 AM
I had the opportunity to fish with Ted Larsen and his 3 boys, Hunter, Garrett and Chad on Memorial Day morning. We fished Cranberry Lake for 4 hours. I taught the boys how to move the rod properly creating the jigging action that catches me fish.

I was amazed how well they caught on, and did they pile up the fish!! The boys caught many northern pike up to 26 inches, about 30 walleye, a dozen nice size crappie and many many perch. It was very rewarding to see young boys really get into catching fish and helping each other net the fish and release them. There was no talk of killing them, just fun catching and releasing. It was very refreshing for me to watch. CONGRADULATIONS LARSEN'S, IT WAS A PLEASURE FISHING WITH YOU!!

We need to teach our children the fun is in the catching, NOT the killing of your bag limit. I have no problem with a fish fry for the nights dinner but so many fisherman don't think it was a good day fishing unless they get their limit. In my opinion, they have lost perspective of what fishing should be.
Let's teach our children fish is FUN, then return them to the water if we aren't going to consume them immediately. The days of packing the freezer full of fish are over.

As the title says, THE FISHING IS HOLDING UP, so if you can get up to Eagle River come up for the best bite we have had in years.

Ranger Rick