PDA

View Full Version : Post Your June 2010 Trip Reports Here

Justin Gaudry
06-01-2010, 03:18 PM
The month of May ended with a flurry of activity over the Memorial Weekend Holiday. Many big walleyes and northerns were landed and released. The month of June brings the muskie opener later in the month to add another dimension to the activity on the lake.

Post your trip reports here to let us all know how you made out on the lake during the month of June!

Wendell G.
06-08-2010, 04:41 AM
I had a wonderful time again, as I always do, staying at my Aunt/Uncle's cabin. Fishing started out tough early in the week as the weather was a little unstable. Wednesday and Thursday were nice days and produced many walleyes for us in Miles Bay. A couple of us checked out the bass fishing scene and found the smallies hanging out in the usual places. We went to Turtle Bay in search of some Largemouths but were dissapointed, of course the weather was terrible that day. While up in Turtle, we decided to check out the portage and can confirm that the portage does need some maintenance. While there I did pull a nice northern(Released) out from the shoreline near the portage rail.
The new Ranger 621 performed admirably. Its going to be a fun boat!! Will be back up in July, can't wait.

brianpete
06-16-2010, 06:36 PM
The weather was cool and damp but the walleyes were active in 19 to 22 ft.We fished Saturday from 9:30 to 3:00 ( church @ 4:30 ) and caught 73 walleyes from 6 to 22 inches.We used bottom bouncers and spinners with minnows, leeches and crawlers and they all did equally well. Sunday was just as good as we caught a total of 151 walleyes between the four of us in our boat. I will be back in a few weeks. Hope the big hawgs are on the reefs.

Nic Satre
06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Well, over all I would rank my first trip this year as fair. The first three days of fishing were excellent. We had nice weather, the walleyes were biting, they were nice sized, and it didn't seem to matter where or how you fished. Day four the weather took a huge nose dive ( wind from every direction and rain) and so did the fishing. The walleyes seemed to move deeper and off structure. They got smaller and there was a mayfly hatch on top of that. We had our best luck with walleyes later in the week fishing spinners on the deep transitions from rock to mud. I went out to Obobikan one day to do some northern and bass fishing. The northern were biting very well despite the weather. Most were in the 2-6lb. range with a few bigger ones. I would estimate I caught 30 fish that afternoon. I only caught one largemouth and a handfull of smallies. I tried as hard as possible to locate some shallow crappies, but I think I was too late this year. My best day was 5 fish with a few other days pulling two or three. I was however most impressed with the perch fishing this trip. lots of 12+ inch fish. They seemed to be everywhere! Real fat fish with very few worms. Very good eats! I'll be back up i a week and a half to do some muskie and wally fishing. I thinking the fishing will be on fire by then.

Paul F
06-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Quick trip this past week, got lots of work done on the cabin. Only managed to fish a couple hours a day, fish are starting to move to the reefs. The algae bloom has started which seems a little early but with the warm weather it can be expected. The mayfly hatch is also going full bore. Will be back up in 3 weeks with all of the family. Oh yes, my wife just reminded me that she caught a 28" walleye, which she released after the photo. I would have remembered if I had caught it!

rbc
06-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Well the muskie fishing was so-so for me over the weekend. Saturday was really tough. Fished all day and only saw one. Sunday with the weather change things started to pick up. Saw 5 and landed one 42.5" (thanks for the help Justin). Sunday morning I only fished for a few hours and saw 4, landed one and hooked and lost another. Rock/sand/reed areas and wind blown points seemed to be the best. Back up over the 4th.

JSONDAG
07-02-2010, 09:40 PM
My three buddies and I arrived at Mylies on the 28th of June to find a heavy NW wind and rain on the horizon. After Justin plopped us in, we headed out on the lake and nabbed 2 quick upper 30" fish on a bladed bait and a phat daddy walk the dog topwater. We saw several more and lost a couple bigger fish. The next few days, we landed a total of 20 and hooked and lost another 22. We had quite a bit of trouble keeping them pinned, even on the sturdiest set. We located 3 or 4 in the 50 inch range on weeds and rocks. It varied greatly upon the wind direction. The searing sun and the south winds kicked up some late summer algae in Big and Little Traverse as well as the sunset channel. We searched for clearer water and non-mossed weed beds and we seemed to locate the fish. We caught several on bucktails, spinnerbaits, and a few on top waters and musky buster creepers.

The late summer algae and moss are growing leaps and bounds already - if you like to pound the good cabbage weedbeds up there, you better get your A** moving, because the bays are junking up quick.

Going back on the 11th of July. Hope we can find some tankers.

Jerry Sondag

mlures
07-03-2010, 06:12 AM
Spent two weeks at the trailer. Had great walleye fishing. All our fish were caught East of Mylies on 1-1/2 oz. bottom bouncers, 24" snells with hammered copper or gold blades. Minnows, crawlers, leeches all worked, however a chunk of crawler on the hook worked the best. Fish were caught at all depths, reefs and shoreline points. We look for new areas to fish every day. Took two limits of BIG crappies and fished muskies a little. Didn't raise any. One of our best walleye trips. Lots of big fsih.