PDA

View Full Version : Area Fishing Report 5/26/2010

Shane & Cathy
05-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Hello Everyone, this is Cathy from Aquatic Arts Fishing Pro Shop right here in Tomahawk. This hot sticky weather has been a bit unbearable at times, but it hasn't seemed to affect the bite out on the water. Insects have been hatching out of the water these past few days, including Thunderbugs (which are Dragonfly Nymphs). They can be found hatching in the shallow water near weed edges and mud. This has been a major food source for bluegills, perch and crappie. Another major phenomenon going on right now is that the Crayfish are molting on the area lakes with the warm water temps. This means they are losing their hard outer shells, becoming soft and silver in color until their shell rebuilds. The fish are going crazy feasting on these as they scurry around near rocks and weeds unprotected. Bluegills remain active in the bays, use a small hook tipped with a Thunderbug beneath a bobber, a sinker is not necessary as you want the bug to fall slowly and naturally. You should almost instantaneously get a bite. You can use this same approach for perch as they love these little guys. Fish weed edges near drop offs, sometimes casting right to the shoreline in the weeds. Walleyes and smallies have been stuffing themselves with the molting crayfish. You can find them along weed edges and on rocks near sunny shorelines. Use Jointed shad raps, preferrable a light color like walleye, silver, or crayfish. Also, a silver Power Nymph on an 1/8 to 1/4 oz jig tipped with a fathead works great during the day! You want to use light colors this time of year for sure!! Large mouth are still in the shallows and have been loving their plastic worms, like senkos and powerbait worms rigged texas style, making them weedless. Weedless spoons with white trailer split tails have been catching some big bass as well. Well, thats all for today. This has been your weekly fishing update with Catch em Cathy.

Fin Bender
05-26-2010, 11:29 AM
I love these fishing reports!

Can you mention anything about northerns......Is the bite on for them? what's been working to catch them?

Thanks!

Shane & Cathy
05-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Yes, they have been active along weed edges, drop offs, and rocky shorelines. You can use Reed-Runner spinnerbaits or Large Jointed Rapalas. If you prefer to use live bait, large Walleye Suckers on a spinner rig like a Prescott has been working great!!!!

Cat

supra8795
05-26-2010, 04:01 PM
I love these fishing reports!

Can you mention anything about northerns......Is the bite on for them? what's been working to catch them?

Thanks!

#5 mepps any color worked really well for us 2 weeks ago. We 40 fish just using mepps. Biggest fish being a 37" northern.

Fin Bender
05-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks, I'll be on the water tomorrow, can't wait!

Aquatic Arts Fishing Pro Shop
05-27-2010, 08:59 PM
I love reed runners by Northland Tackle, Black/Org. and run an orange 4 inch twister tail. Those Big Pike can not resist it.
Dave