PDA

View Full Version : This is incredible

walleyemaxx
05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Hi everyone,

Try not to get sick after you read this.

13 fishermen arrested, 2,238 fish seized on the Flowage
by Kathy Hanson
Staff reporter
Published: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:24 PM CDT
Sawyer County Conservation Warden Sue Miller, Conservation Warden Tom Heisler from Winter and Flowage Ranger Roy Zubrod arrested13 adult males and seized 2,238 fish on Friday, May 21 on the Chippewa Flowage, after two complaints were called in on late Wednesday and Friday. The complaint received on Wednesday came in on the anonymous/confidential hotline for overbagging. The other complaint received on Friday was regarding keeping bass, Miller said.

“We went out Wednesday but they (the men) were already in,” said Miller, who then said that “on Friday we worked these guys all day.”

The investigation is ongoing and details and names will not be released until next week, Miller said, but they arrested five men at one resort and another eight at a second resort. There were three groups, all from associated Baptist churches in the Milwaukee area. All have been coming up here for over 26 years, Miller said, and have allegedly been “grossly overbagging” for the same number of years, she added. The men had been fishing for a period of five to six days. Most of the fish were crappies; a handful were perch; some were bluegills; and there were six bass, Miller said. 750 of the seized fish had not been filleted, so they were taken to Whiskey Ridge for processing.

“Some of them (men) kind of knew the rules,” Miller said. She added said that some of them thought they could bag up to 30 crappies per day, instead of the 15 daily bag limit. None of them seemed to be aware that at any given time or moment, a maximum of 30 crappies in possession is the law, she said.

The 13 men were all part of a larger group who, upon being tipped off that they were under investigation, left the area, Miller hypothesized. Miller suspects that they left with far more fish than the 2,238, but she has two names so is following up on those.

The men were very cooperative and pleasant, according to Miller. “When it comes to natural resources people have different outlooks—they don’t compare it to breaking into someone’s home,” she said.

The fish will be held for court purposes. Typically, the DNR hosts fish frys for the nursing homes and the Relay for Life American Cancer benefit, normally not more than two or three such events per year. “With this amount of fish, we’ll do a lot of them, unfortunately,” she said.

Wisconsin’s DNR Violation Hotline program provides people with the opportunity to confidentially and/or anonymously report susupected violations using the 24-hour operated toll free number 1-800-TIP-WDNR (1-800-847-9367).

I hope they throw the book at'em. People who wantingly violate, steal from us all. And a church group!!!!

Congrats to warden Sue Miller, and a big THANK YOU. You have earned my respect.

Walleyemaxx

Mark Benson
05-26-2010, 11:07 AM
yeaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wished they'd get more of them!!!

Mark

Brad K.
05-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Now it's time for the resort owners to put the brakes on the folk staying for a week when the crappie & bluegills are going...they're fishing with they're gizzards instead of brains. Of coarse the resort owner wants the folks to come back...but they need to start saying something. I guess there was a scrap at Long Lake by Phelps when they caught 7 guys from Illinois taking undersized fish & WAY more than there limit. THAT A WAY...Vigilanty justice! trust me...the land owners have spy glasses & are watching.. 4 people from Minn. got caught last year at a cottage on Winnebago with over 600 fillets in a chest freezer they brought along...

Next...they need to stop the powering up of boats up trailers. Brand new launch at Veiux Desert & I watched a guy from Illinios take 5 trys to get up his trailer with a 16 foot boat & 45hp engine. Mud was at least 35 feet from shore before he got done. Miller Beer couldn't of found a better buffoon for a comercial. Misery bay in the U.P. has it posted "No Powering Up"...but in WI.,,?

walleyemaxx
05-26-2010, 02:38 PM
I have fished all thru the U.P. Michigan does not allow power loading anywhere. takes longer to wind er up, but not that bad.

As for the over bagging, I can't believe that just because it was a church group, they thought they could get away with this. Like I said earlier, when people violate game laws, they steal from us all. I hope they get maxximum fines and jail time. There is no excuse for what they did.

Walleyemaxx

Gunsnbowses
05-26-2010, 03:58 PM
I wish violators like these people would get the maxximum fine, but they seldom do. Most simply get a slap on the wrist. And while in this instance, it may be a bit more substantial, I'm betting their fine is nowhere near maxx. I just don't understand the reluctance to do so. Just maybe it would stop future violators and make them reconsider!!!

Brad K.
05-27-2010, 09:54 AM
I called WTMJ radio in Milwaukee...talked to the news director...this will get some press...I directed the station to your web-page. They want the church names...also the resort names wondering how the resort owners couldn't have noticed so much activity? Maybe the resort owner needs to be held resposible also???.Whats more important to him..cash or the resourse that makes him his cash....

walleyemaxx
05-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi Brad,

I hope that the news stations down in beer town report every detail about this. I hope they publish the names of every violator and the church they are the pastor for.
I heard of two names of resorts that they were staying at, but it hasn't been confirmed, so I won't say. There is a chance that those two particular resort owners didn't know about the gross over harvest.
I say that because I personally know those people to be up standing and hard working honest people. you have to remember that when you wear the disguise of a holy man, there is no suspicion cast upon you. Easy to fool people when you wear the cloth. That is one reason that I feel these people should be dealt with harshly.
At any rate, I rest easier knowing God will send them LOSERS STRAIGHT LEGGED TO HELL.

My opinion any way.

Walleyemaxx

walleyemaxx
05-27-2010, 04:16 PM
If anyone hears more about this case, such as names of the people and what not, please let me know so I can post it. Thanks.

Walleyemaxx

walleyemaxx
06-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi everyone,

I posted the results of the process so far on another post. Hopefully the courts will up the fines and punishment for these folks.

Walleyemaxx