PDA

View Full Version : New To Lake Mendota

Raw-Tracks
05-13-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm new to this forum and to Madison area fishing. Thought I'd post some pics of the first fish I've caught on Mendota.

After fishing a few days the first week of May may and not catching anything, I finally started catching fish on Sunday, May 9th! I started the day fishing around Governor's Island, as I had the previous days. Spent a couple hours around that area and no action whatsoever. Lots of fish jumping, but not interested in what I was offering.

After a few hours, I thought I'd head over to the opposite end of the lake. I dropped anchor close to shore near Frautschi Point, about 8ft of water within 200ft or so from shore. My plan for the day was one rod with a nightcrawler and slip-bobber, one rod with a large sucker on a quick-strike rig hanging on a large bobber, and casting with a third rod.

The large sucker rig was too heavy to cast very well, so once I anchored I just dropped the sucker rig in the water by the boat to get the sucker out of the bait bucket and in fresh water. I then proceeded to set up the nightcrawler rod. While I was setting up the nightcrawler, the sucker rig went nuts! Right next to the boat! I grabbed the rod, set the hook and landed my first large mouth! I couldn't believe it, right by the boat. Once I landed the bass and released it, the sucker was still good, so I dropped it back in the water. I cast out the worm rig, lobbed out the sucker rig and got him swimming away from the boat. Then I started casting with a 3/4oz red/white daredevil spoon. During the third retrieval on the Daredevil, I glanced over to check my bobber on the worm rig, I couldn't see it anywhere. I grabbed the bobber rod, took in the slack and set the hook. Fish on! Second bass within 10 minutes. By the time the second fish was released, the sucker went again! Landed and released my third bass. Now I've got no lines in the water. I gave up on casting the daredevil and just concentrated on the 2 live bait rods. They kept me busy for over an hour.

In the end, I lost count. I think I landed about 5 or 6 large mouths and 1 small mouth. I lost several others. I also had a tiny northern follow my worm in when I reeled it in to check on it at one point.

After a little over an hour, things slowed down a bit. I decided to try another spot a bit to the east. No luck after about 45 minutes. Moved again, further east, no luck. Moved one more time, caught one more large mouth. By then, the sun was setting and I headed for home.

Truly a memorable excursion!

scotchy
05-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey Eric! , it's Scott from the Cutouts! So you went out and bought yourself a boat, did you? I've been fishing Mendota and Monona for 30 years or so, and would be happy to show you some of my favorite spots. Give me a call or shoot me an e-mail, it would be fun to head out some evening.