PDA

View Full Version : Guiding this past weekend............

Ranger Rick
05-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Holy Cow! To say the weather on Friday and Saturday was brutal was an understatement. Friday was in the low forties in the morning, dropping to the upper 30's late in the afternoon. We also had winds up to about 15 miles per hour, which was okay, until the soaking rain started at 1 pm. Feeling the rod with cold hands was a problem. However Dave and Mark Wickland and group are "tough" guys and they hung in there with me. It payed off. We boated a little over 30 walleyes on Saturday with most of them 16 to 19.5 inches. They had a nice limit by 4 pm.

The walleyes went deep because of the cold front. The shallowest fish was caught in 18 feet, with most of them being caught in 25 to 28 feet. We used 1/8 jigs with XL fatheads. The line I use is 6 pound Black Widow. It was important to be using the lightest tackle possible to feel the bite in the adverse weather.
The next morning we awoke to 4 inches of snow on the ground and temperatures at 32 degrees. Nice May weather!! I looked like November fishing up here. See photos below.
Sunday the winds were too extreme to fish the same water as Saturday. So I asked the group if they wanted to go on a trophy hunt versus numbers. They did so we changed lakes. We caught northern, smallmouth, perch and Dave Wickland did get a nice 26 inch walleye he released.

The bite is alittle unstable with the extreme cold fronts we are having daily. They are calling for rain the next 3 days.

Our annual Weeds N' Walleye school begins this Friday evening and runs for 4 days. They are calling for great weather this weekend, with tempertures in the 60's with sunshine. Anyone interested in joining us a Weeds N' Walleye this weekend is can give me a call at 715-367-1000. The crew from Lake-Link will be present again this year.

Check out the photos of the fish we caught this past weekend in the attachments.

Stay tuned for more fishing reports as we gather the information.

"Ranger" Rick