PDA

View Full Version : Musky Location

The Outlaw TJ
04-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Hey Herbie,

When fishing for musky in early summer, will the back of shallow bays hold fish or am I better served to sticking to structure closer to deeper water?

Thanks.

Steve Herbeck
04-23-2010, 08:46 AM
many factors can come into play,alot depends on the physical make up and composition of the bay,how far removed from spawning,color of water,water temps,existance or lack of weeds,etc. one bay can hold fish off and on nearly all season or at least till weeds die,others from spawning till just after opener, and others never have anything but small pike.
a general answer would be larger bays with perhaps some rock points,some small islands,smaller bays with in it,etc ,or bays/weed beds with in islands and clusters near the basin,or bigger weed flats would probably hold fish more consistantly into summer months but there are always exceptions,with weeds probably more than not and some smaller weed bays are go to spots,most likely because they are with in travel routes,have some deeper water nearby (it doesn't take a fish long at all to paddle 100-400yds from deeper water to a bay or weed bed and back),and more than not are in areas that have other structures nearby or what i'm trying to say is complexity with in the area vs a small bay by it's self,but then again,there are alwways exceptions for what ever reason the fish like being there. . you either got to have the experience to recognize the potential,or fish them enough to find out,or get the needed info from someone who has done either or both.nothing cut and dried.
this season with the early ice out and water warming temps and sun i would say by opener or shortly after you could/will be fishing not only the bays as described that are typical late june early july habitats but mainlake structures bays,and flats as well as everything will be well ahead of previous years.
same thing with walleyes,by early june they should be in full feeding mode and setting up in predictble mid june/early july weedlines,bays,and rock structures.