PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 4/18

Jerry Tipping
04-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Nice morning on "The Rock". No wind to speak of after what we have had for the past few days. Jigged and pulled rigs near the Buckhorn Bridge and had 7 nice crappie and some "shortie walleye". Pulled out the planner boards and cranks managed two more crappie one keeper eye and a spotted musky. Thats the first spotted I have seen here. Had on a couple other nice fish that came unbottoned before we got them to the net. If the weather cooperates and stays warm the crappies should be back in the Little Yellow within the next two weeks.

Keep a tight line!!!

Jerry

Luke McGarry
04-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the update, Jerry.

Do you tend to fish the Buckhorn Bay side moreso at this time of the spring?

Luke

Jerry Tipping
04-19-2010, 12:34 PM
It depends on what side of the lake I meet my clients. Sometimes I stay on the north or south end but if nothing is happening there I might run all the way back into Buckhorn Bay.

Jerry

Luke McGarry
04-22-2010, 03:30 PM
You've been at this for awhile now and making a living at it too. How long do you fish an area or use a technique before you switch off to a different area or different technique?

I tend to do both--switch around, but my wife thinks I spend too much time doing one thing before I switch. Maybe she's right, but there is so much water and structure out there that you can spend a whole day with a couple techniques and not figure out where they are feeding.

Luke

Jerry Tipping
04-23-2010, 09:49 AM
There are certain areas that I find hold fish year round and jigs, rigs and bobbers work throughout the season. Other areas only hold fish for a short time but I will usually make a quick check there during the summer months as well.
During the summer when trolling you may have to check all areas to find active fish. Try going deep, if this is not productive I try shallow, if this isn't work they must be somewhere in the middle.