PDA

View Full Version : Introducing my wife to muskie fishing

muskiemaniac
04-16-2010, 08:35 PM
My wife has actually expressed interest in starting to muskie fish. I was wondering if anyone else has started their wife or girlfriend fishing for muskies. If so, i would really like to hear any tips or advice to make this an enjoyable experienc for her(and myself).

Mark Benson
04-17-2010, 11:48 AM
muskiemanioac:

Couple of thoughts: Bounce over to the WI side of fishinginfo and check out the Chippewa Flowage that is hosted by Ty Sennett (there are two, his the top one). His wife Rachael I think, helps him with his business and fishes muskies. Another to perhaps try would be Rob Manthie on the St. Germain forum as his wife Kay also musky fishes and lastly go to Patricia Strutz's webpage http://ablondandherboat.com/ and send her an email to see if she has any helpful ideas.

Mark

Paul Schlagel
04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Maniac, don't make all the mistakes I did. I was an idiot. The biggest mistake I made was not dialing down the intensity. I would actually get irritated if she wasn't fishing hard enough, long enough, good enough... you get the idea. I was well-intentioned, I wanted her to try 100% because I wanted badly for her to catch a big one. Well, that didn't work out so well.

Plan short outings the first few times you go out. Don't have her fishing for so long that she gets bored or starts getting tired and sore. Try to cut the trip short before she starts losing interest. Pick a nice day; don't take you out when it's cold, windy, pouring rain, etc. Also, take her out at a time when you are really confident that there's a good chance for success. When you have a pattern totally dialed in and you're consistently having success - that's a great time to take her out. Start her out with a lure that's easy to cast and easy to retrieve. I don't think you can go wrong with a topwater, especially one that's heavy enough to minimize backlashes. A Pacemaker comes to mind: they have minimal wind-resistance and enough weight to completely minimize backlashes, they're effortless to retrieve, and they catch fish. Everyone loves topwater, especially beginners. Maybe mix in a short trolling run from time to time to get her off her feet and rest, depending on how you feel about trolling. Make sure she has enough warm clothes. Most people that don't fish are often surprised and how chilly it can get when you leave shore (on a 130,000+ acre lake, anyway). Make sure you have ample snacks and drinks.

Above all, don't be an ass like I was. It's OK if she doesn't fish with much intensity. If she takes a break to kick back and catch some rays, that's OK. She might really want to catch a musky, but it's just as likely that she mostly wants a bit of quality time with you and she wants to see what all the excitement is about. When my wife goes out now, she just wants to be out in a boat on a nice day. She doesn't fish much, mostly she reads and naps in the sun, but that's fine, I understand that now.

...... If you ever change your mind and don't care much for her as a fishing partner, take her out in the crappiest weather and tell her that only lures catching fish are Supermodels or Pounders.

geno668
04-23-2010, 10:16 AM
When my wife, actually girlfriend at the time, expressed interest in heading out with me, I thought it was a hell of an idea, but I learned real quick that this wasn't like having a buddy in the boat. the first outing we didn't speak for the entire 4 hours that we fished, and I like Paul had to dial down the intensity. After the initial outing the first thing I did was get her comfortable driving the boat, so I can back the trailer in and park, and she can pick me up at the launch dock, she still refuses to load the boat on the trailer but in time she may try it. Secondly I had to keep her comfort level in mind, a guy doesn't need much on the water, but for her we stow a roll of TP and a towel to cover herself because she can be shy, as well as a bucket to relieve herself in, she has a bladder the size of a walnut. When she is out with me I have also found myself turning the radio on more, and when she isnt fishing because she has a book, found a pretty leaf floating or sees a million dollar cabin I should buy for us, I find myself actually fishing harder, because I still want to try and impress this woman, she doesn't kow I suck at musky fishing just yet.

I keep my mannerisms calm, and my frustrations to myself and it is enjoyable sharing a boat with my wife. Just try to foresee possible issues and plan accordingly, i.e. warm clothes. I also had to, and I know it can be frowned upon, but switch her over to heavy spinning gear and downsized her lures, her wrists get sore quick, and the lighter gear allows her to fish longer and enjoy herself more, when she gets to sore she just throws on a bass spinner and tries for largemouth on the weed edges while I hurl for skies. hope any of this helps and remember if the fish arent biting there are plenty of places to hide on a lake and enjoy other aspects of your relationship.

muskiemaniac
04-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Fortunately for me, my wife is a pretty decent angler. She has proved to me that she can hang with the boys in some nasty weather while fishing for walleye in south dakota. I will definitely use the advise you have given me this season.