PDA

View Full Version : Talk About Fishing?

Dave B
03-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Anybody want to talk about fishing on LOTW and at Witch Bay? The open water season here in Illinois is already well under way. I fished Saturday in a musky tournament and between my partner and I, we caught 6 muskies -- each caught 3. Most were small and under the size limit to qualify for the tournament, but anytime you catch 3 muskies in a day, its all good.

Gail Hockett
04-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Hey Dave that is amazing 6 muskies and you are right for both of you to each catch 3 muskies, that is so great! CONGRADULATIONS!! Who were you fishing with and what bait did you use, that is if it is not a secret. This looks like a great start to being a good Muskie year for you. See you at camp.......always........Gail

Dave B
04-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Gail -- No secrets. We caught 4 fish on large rattle traps, 1 on a shallow invader, and 1 on a spinnter bait. The lake we were fishing is really unique. It is spring fed and the deepest spot is only 6 or so feet. Nothing like fishing LOTW out of Witch Bay Camp. But still fun and a good way to get the season started.

Gail Hockett
04-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Dave that is great, like you said what a great way to start your spring, that is interesting that most were caught on a rattle trap. I could image the big smile you had on your face and did you have a cigar after catching the 3 muskie, congradulations!
I have not fished for Muskie before, but this summer I may just have to have Steve take me out to try and see if I even would get a follow from a Muskie.
I know it is a lot of work and you may not even see one, but when I see people like you and how excited you are when you come in after catching a big muskie, it really makes one want to try and catch one also. Of course there is a lot of learning from how to work your bait, on the proper way to hold your muskie, to taking pictures and of course the proper release. I think that if I were to catch a muskie, I would just do the picture of it in the water and let it go and not bring it into the boat, I am a bit afraid of such a big fish.
Again Congradulations Dave.
Always,
Gail

Dave B
04-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Gail -- the muskie fishing sickness isn't something I would wish on anyone. As you know, my group runs and guns all over the lake looking for muskies when we are in Camp, and more times than not at the end of our trip we've caught more fish, and often bigger fish, close to Camp. So, Steve wouldn't have to take you far.