PDA

View Full Version : Boreal Bay - please pass the tissues

Kevin Nelson
03-03-2010, 09:32 PM
On a sad note – It's been a tough year on Jean's side of the family with a Grandmother passing away in January and and Aunt in February.

Today our family has lost a good man. We have been expecting this the past couple weeks and we were very fortunate to spend some time with him before the end.

My Father-in-Law, Jean's Dad has died.

Much like many of our friends and guests, he spent his career working hard to support his family and clearly made family values a major part of his life. His work ethic, kind hearted nature and personal character were clearly passed on to his daughter Jean. He was a great role model not just from what he said or did, but from how people felt when they were around him. He always treated everyone with respect and a welcoming smile.

As a young man, his family rented boats and offered a bit of a bed and breakfast for those fishing near Lake Milacs in Minnesota. He was always very proud of all of his children, but the thought of Jean, Jenny, Amy and I being involved with a resort brought back some special memories for him. Sadly, Jean and I were never able to have him visit us at Boreal Bay Lodge... but we often say he would have enjoyed it.

After his retirement, Alzheimer's entered the picture and took away many of his freedoms and hobbies like working on machines and fishing. He enjoyed fishing as a way to spend time with family and friends and to get out of the house long enough to relax on the water. He always came back from his fishing trips with a smile and full limit of stories...even if it rained the entire trip or no fish were caught.

I think we can all agree that too much of this "dearly departed" stuff is going on. Life is short and no one is getting any younger. We hope everyone will find a way to live, enjoy and share life... in your own way, before it's gone.

My Father-in-Law was a good friend, I'm glad to have known him and I will miss him. We are happy for him because the years of suffering with Alzheimer's at the VA Nursing home was not how he wanted to live his life.

Thoughts and prayers are very welcome.

Looking forward to posting some more enjoyable topic's in the near future.

Regards,

Loafer
03-04-2010, 11:44 AM
My sincere condolences to you and your family on your loss. I too experienced the same with my Dad last year. He had Parkinsons and Alzhiemers. The statement of Rest In Peace is so true.
Bob Romanas
(Evergreen Park, ILL)

becker4
03-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Jean, Kevin, Jenny and Amy-
We are very sorry for your loss. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. May you always remember the good times.

Bill, Christy, Makenna and Madalynn Becker

Ton
03-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Very sorry to hear Kevin.
Good thoughts & prayers to your wife and family.
Things are melting fast up here.
Soon you will be in the beautiful nature up here on Crow Lake.

I will stop by.