PDA

View Full Version : Column: Catching Spring Catfish

Joel DeBoer
02-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Springtime in Wisconsin is a glorious season for a variety of reasons. For starters, the spring season signifies an end to old man winter’s grip for another year, and new tree buds and flower blossoms act as a promise of things to come. As early spring weather arrives, so does the first open water angling of the year, with excellent Wisconsin fishing opportunities for walleyes, sauger, northern pike, steelhead, and brown trout to name a few. One of the joys of spring fishing is “scratching the itch” so-to-speak of getting a good bend in your favorite rod, and battling a fish. Left off the radar by most anglers during this time of transition, whether on purpose or inadvertently, is the channel catfish. Catfish? In spring?! You bet – with catfish, even in the spring, if it’s a fight you want, then it’s a fight you’re going to get.

Getting rigged up for chasing channel catfish is relatively simple, although quality equipment is a must as even mid-sized channel catfish are dogged fighters who refuse to give up until the very end. I typically use a 7-7 ½ foot St. Croix in a medium to medium-heavy action depending on the size of the cats I expect to tangle with, as well as the amount of weight required to maintain control of my presentation. I prefer to use braided line, such as Power Pro, as the abrasion resistance often comes in quite handy when muscling a big catfish away from wood, bridge pilings, or other potential obstructions. I spool my Power Pro on a quality bait-casting reel such as an Abu Garcia 6500-C3; the reason for the 6500-C3 is not the line capacity, but the bait clicker – an invaluable tool when running multiple lines. On the “business end” I use all Mustad Demon circle hooks, and carry with me an assortment of heavy barrel swivels and egg or bank sinkers ranging in size from 3/8 oz. through 6 oz; typically however, sinkers in the 3/8oz. -1 oz. will suffice nicely.

Although typically thought of as a quarry to pursue only during the steamy summer months, channel catfish can provide anglers with sport year round, even through the ice. As with any species of fish, connecting consistently begins with understanding location. The earliest days of spring finds the bulk of channel catfish residing yet in their wintering holes. Any search for channel catfish when working deep holes and pools should begin at the head of the hole or pool, as this is typically where the most actively feeding feed typically position themselves. While catfish activity levels are typically at some of the lowest of the year during this cold-water period, anglers can still connect with good catches of fish. The best presentations are those that remain in the strike zone as long as possible.

Slip-sinker or Wolf River style rigs work well when baited with pieces of fish and allowed to sit right on the bottom. An overlooked but highly effective method of catching channel catfish during this period is vertical jigging. Use your electronics to locate areas holding numbers of fish and then subtly work a jigging spoon, such as a Northland Buckshot Rattle Spoon tipped with a minnow head or two, right in front of the fish; this can be a very effective and exciting method of scoring on ‘cats from winter on through spring.
While a variety of prepared baits exist on the market, there truly is no substitute for the real thing when targeting channel catfish, especially the big ones. Natural bait, whether fresh or a bit ripe, chunked or cut (especially when indigenous to the body of water you are fishing), is hands-down the number one producer for channel catfish. While baits such as chicken livers, cheese, etc. do account for their catfish each season, big channel catfish are like any trophy game fish – they didn’t get that way by experimenting and taking chances too often, so keep your presentations natural.

As temperatures gradually increase, channel catfish activity will increase as well with their subsequent rising metabolism. Anglers often look for the “magic” temperature in respect to when fish turn on and off; with channel catfish in spring, there is no such number. Typically, channel catfish appear to begin putting on the feedbag following the first solid run of warm, sunny, spring-like weather; depending on which part of the state you are in and what kind of body of water (lake versus river), this may find water temperatures ranging anywhere in the forty to fifty degree range.

Although catfish activity will have increased, fish will still be looking at avoiding areas of direct current. As such, while some fish may still be using holes, especially where bottom irregularities aid in deflecting current flow, a majority of the channel catfish will utilize shoreline areas such as wing-dams, deadfalls, and other current breaks. As the weather continues to improve and temperatures rise, channel catfish will be on the move as they actively search out food and spawning habitat, with spawning typically taking place when water temperatures reach around 75 degrees. This pre-spawn period can be one of the finest fishing periods for channel catfish as the fish are on the prowl and eating readily.

Okay, so they’re not walleyes, and not typically what most anglers think of when thinking of species to pursue in spring; however, in many Wisconsin rivers and flowages channel catfish are not only plentiful, they grow to good size. They are rugged fighters who will test both the skill of the angler and the durability of his or her equipment. Throw in the fact that the smaller specimens are absolutely delicious, and you have a quarry worth paying attention to this spring. Looking to scratch that itch this spring, give channel catfish a try!

Tight lines,