PDA

View Full Version : tip ups

Eagle 1
02-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi Matt and Pete, I think I'm going ice fishing for northerns tomorrow and I need to respool my tip ups. I used to use braided dacron. Thinking of using some power pro instead. what you guys think?? Brad

Muskie Matt
02-06-2010, 10:54 AM
I would respool with the standard 25-30lb dacron line, it won't take 4 miles of line to fill a tip-up spool, it's not as costly, and it's thicker diameter makes it easier to work with in cold weather.

I have used lighter test superline as my 3-4ft leader coming off the dacron line, such as 10-20lb Fireline or other such "superline". I still prefer a simple 3 or 4 feet of 8lb mono line for my leader material. As you are going for pike, a leader of superline will work nicely, I have used it in place of wire leaders before, it works but care must still be taken when landing your fish. If the line gets between teeth and pulled taut it will cut-off, but it is tough and will do the job.

Good luck, get some picklers...

Pete Stoltman
02-06-2010, 11:49 AM
I agree with Matt. I've tried using some super braid (stuff left after re-spooling reels). It will work but you really don't gain anything for ice fishing and as Matt mentioned it's expensive. Stick with the regular braided ice line.

Eagle 1
02-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the help will post our results, but the outing was posponed a week.Brad