PDA

View Full Version : Spring Rattle Bite

hawkeye9
02-02-2010, 04:19 PM
I've recently read a few articles about rattlin in the spring. Last year I caught a couple of fish during the pre-spawn bite throwing Rat-L-Traps. No doubt with the stained water we often see early in the year there's no wonder why this can work. I've read different ideas about ideal water temperatures, locations for best success, and the like, but was wondering mostly about size of baits. Looking at Thrones and Rollie & Helens selections I just made the assumption last year that Super-Traps were the ticket. However, it seems that I might be better off throwing 1oz. Perhaps even normal bass sizes of 1/2 to 3/4. Any thoughts?

BTW: Congrats Chad on the birth of your new daughter and also great sympathy on the passing of your friend. A prayer has been said for you and your family in regards to both.

Chad Cain
02-03-2010, 08:50 AM
First of all, thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers!

As for the rattle baits, we use them in all sizes. I would say the 1oz is the size I use the most, but have gotten fish on the super traps and the smaller bass size. The small ones seem to work when nothing else will.

hawkeye9
02-04-2010, 10:04 AM
A quick follow-up question...is it necessary to switch leaders from the floroucarbon I use for just about every other application (minus jerkbaits where using something stiffer tends to make getting proper action a bit eaiser). I'm aware of the new stealth leader for rattlin baits, and I suppose there would be a benefit, but I'm wondering what you all have done for the last few seasons before this new product from stealth arrived. I'll probably buy a couple and see the difference for myself, but was just wondering.

Chad Cain
02-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Yes, I switch to a small wire leader with no snap or swivels. This is to prevent losing any action on the smaller rattle traps. I usually just make my own rattle trap leaders, but Stealth does make a good one.

ILBOB
02-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Congrats Chad on your new addition. Hope everyone is doing well.

Do you change out the hooks and split rings on the rattle baits to heavier ones?