PDA

View Full Version : Ice Out -- Lyle??

WBC-Regular
01-29-2010, 10:04 AM
OK, Mr. Lyle. We are half way through the METEOROLOGICAL winter (December, January, February) and are hopefully coming down the home stretch towards warmer weather. Tough to tell that right now, but it is supposed to be happening.

Are you going to start the Ice Out contest running? Thousands of Witch Bay fans and customers are awaiting the 2010 Ice Out Contest. I will kick in a 6-pack of Kokenee (I hope that is how it is spelled) or La Batt's which the winner can get from Gail during their stay in camp.

The major news networks in the U.S. and Canada have their crack reporters lined up to cover the kickoff. I heard a couple of NBC talents are available to M.C. the entire event (they seem to have some free time now) in case we want this thing to go "prime time".

Hopefully this year's contest will not cause the international tension of the "Ice Out Without Rules" of a few years ago.

FishingNovice
01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
What is the Ice Out contest?

WBC-Regular
02-06-2010, 10:14 AM
What is the Ice Out contest?

The Ice Out contest is an annual event run by one of the WBC customers. It consists of us posters guessing the DAY and HOUR of ice out in Witch Bay as called by Gail.

The guesses have to be in by a cutoff date to qualify. That cutoff date is set by poster "40Buick" (I think it is "Lyle") who runs the contest and records the date & time guesses which we post on here. Each poster is allowed 1 date/time guess.

The winner receives international attention (ok ... maybe not so much international but they do get their name posted on this board!) and huge financial rewards (ok ... more like zero dollars, but us contestants contribute stuff like a 6-pack of Kokanee to the winner ... and I think one year Lyle contributed $5 toward the winner's bill but I don't remember for sure -- a mind is a terrible thing to lose!!).

Anyway, it is all just in fun and generates some "interesting" posts!! Just watch and see!

40buick
02-12-2010, 11:16 PM
I was looking at the sites from the Kenora web cam and thought I saw open water on Kenora Bay. The thought did occur to me that it's high time to get the Ice Out contest started. I'll post the official opening tomorrow morning.