PDA

View Full Version : Product Review - Simms G3 Guide Jacket

Paul Schlagel
01-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Like in previous years, I'll pass the off-season by offering reviews of lures, tackle, and gear that I used in the '09 season.

I've stated in previous posts that I get more questions from my guests, and readers of this message board, about raingear than any other piece of fishing-related equipment. For more comments about raingear search through the older posts from the past year or two.

Anyone who has fished with me, or has been following this message board for awhile, knows that I don't often miss an opportunity to rave about my Simms Guide Jacket. It has always been the dryest piece of raingear I've ever owned. Now there's a tie for first.

My Guide Jacket is still bone-dry and looking good even though it has close to, or maybe more than 1000 days of use. That's an approximation, but I guarantee it's not exaggerated. Even though that jacket is still serving me well, I added a G3 Guide Jacket to the fishing wardrobe. I still like the Guide Jacket when it's warm - think about how steamy it gets on a day when it's hot and muggy, but you have to put on raingear anyway because it's raining or the lake is rough. I needed another Simms for colder weather to replace the Cabelas Guidewear jacket I had been using for cold weather.

The Simms G3 is also super duper bone dry. The shell material is heavier and tougher than the Simms Guide Jacket. The G3 may be even dryer than the Guide Jacket, though I never got a drop of water inside the Guide Jacket. The Simms website says that the G3 is "Extreme Wet Weather Rated", whereas the Guide Jacket is "Extreme Wet Weather Constructed". That's likely a bunch of marketing mumbo jumbo, but there may be a difference that could make the G3 theoretically dryer. I can say that the cuffs on the G3 are dryer. Bone dry. It was a real luxury to be able to unhook and release a fish without getting wet sleeves, or having to take off my jacket and push up the sleeves of the insulating layers. Late in the fall I'm wearing so much insulation I couldn't push up my sleeves if I tried, and removing your shell when it's raining isn't an option. With the G3 I could say "Good-Bye" to wet sleeves. I also prefer the pockets of the G3. The G3 pockets provide better access and storage options than my Guide Jacket, though I'm slitting hairs here. The G3 has a back pocket, too, though that's really only useful for stream fishermen and isn't an important feature for a boat fisherman. The heavier shell fabric should be more durable, though I can say my Guide Jacket is holding up perfectly in spite of a zillion hours of hard use.

It'll be many years and a thousand days on the water before I'll know for sure how the Simms G3 compares to the Simms Guide Jacket, but my first impressions are all positive.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/

Jim
01-19-2010, 07:14 PM
In that older thread about raingear I said I was considering a Simms jacket. Well I put it off to talk myself out of it for this year. That was a mistake. I'll for sure get one this year based on your recommendation. Is the G3 worth the extra money compared to the Guide Jacket? Being wet sucks. Thanks for your help.

Paul Schlagel
01-26-2010, 06:49 PM
That's a tough call, but I'd have to go with the G3. The Guide Jacket has been bone dry and is holding up very well, but I like the G3 better. It's heavier and warmer and I like the pockets and dry cuffs of the G3. It's tought to say, though, because I know the new Guide Jackets are different than mine. My jacket is pretty old and it's been redesigned. I'd really encourage you to check out both jacket before spending a good-sized wad of loot. The Fly Angler (connected to Thorne Brothers) carried Simms gear. You can try on both jackets and get a side-by-side comparison there.