PDA

View Full Version : RFRG 1/15 Icefishing w/Muskie Matt

Muskie Matt
01-15-2010, 09:59 AM

We've been out a few times since our return from the muskie show and we're finding much improved ice conditions area-wide. Looks like 4-wheeler/snowmobile travel is fairly safe now. Caution is always suggested and keep an eye on certain areas. Surprisingly, there is still some thinner ice under some of the lesser traveled spots. Always be aware of current/spring areas. On the ER Chain for example I found 5-6 inches of ice nearing channel areas and 12-13 inches as I moved away from said areas.

Walleye bite was slower the last two days although the sunset and just after time frame still produced a flurry of flags. Lot of "hit n drops". I like using small shiners on the stained waters and sucker minnows on our clearer lakes.

I've been exploring a little panfishing also, using waxies n minnows on both jigs and under tiny bobbers. Judging from watching the vexilar the fish are very wary or neutral until something "clicks" in their little heads and all of a sudden the same fish that would rise and slowly drift back down come up fairly aggressively and take the bait. It's just weird watching em' sometimes.

It's shaping up to be a good weekend on the ice, warmer weather will allow much easier mobility panfishing, which is key, and setting/picking up tip-ups will be a pleasure compared to those after-dark, windy, -8 degree adventures.

Pete and I are working on some big website changes, we want to amp up our sites and include them under a new "RFRG Outdoors" parent site. You'll be able to find everything outdoors from the fishing n hunting trips we'll offer, embedded video, to RFRG radio info. It's gonna be cool, we'll keep ya posted...

Now, get out there, set some lines this weekend and let us know on Sundays show how you did, good fishin' to all...