PDA

View Full Version : Lac Vieux Desert 1/9

Winddrift Dave
01-10-2010, 01:36 AM
What an improvement 3 days/nights have been. There are only a few areas of slush, with the bulk of the lake now forming a 3-5" firming crust over 8"-9" solid base ice. At present a snowmobile is still the best means of transport, while an ATV is best suited w/chains, so that you don't spend your time trying to get out of up to 8"-10" of slush/water in a few select pockets versus quality fishing pursuits.
Majority of the surface snow is currently minimal which is now allowing the cold to penetrate and firm up the slush, while adding to the base. The lake was finally booming the last 2 nights, now hopefully we don't get anymore insulation before making atleast 12"-14" base ice.
Overall, fishing slowed the past two days, but before the front came thru, 'eyes & gators were definitely on the feed. Sounds like the middle of this coming week is shaping up to do a repeat.
Photos :22 1/2", 23",24", 25 1/2" & 26" 'eyes all released by some of the www.uwfishingteam.com/ GO Badgers !! If you go to the Madison fishing expo, Feb. 26-28th stop by their booth and chat about their results.
Safe travels to all in 2010 !

Brad K.
01-10-2010, 02:53 PM
I LOVE the pic of the snowblower with the 454 Chevy engine..If i stop in this spring, could I see it...Save a couple walleye for me when I get up there in May!!
Brad

Winddrift Dave
01-14-2010, 01:22 AM
After riding my 6-wheeler over to the entrance to Indian Bay, The only area you want to stay away from is the shorelines - more insulating snow with underlying slush. Otherwise it was a decent ride over and back. 90% of the surface is now 5" refozen slush on top of 10-11" base ice. Can't promise that will remain after the mid 30's predicted. Am sure out front of here as well as most shorelines, the snowpack will create some major rut conditions after the warm-up. Also be careful when riding up on any "virgin" snow drifts as they may be hiding a possible slush pocket, even tho those are becoming few and far between.