PDA

View Full Version : Lake of the woods trip

walleyemaxx
01-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi every one.
I'm making a trip to LOTW for the first time on the 15th and was just wondering if any body could help me out with a few tips. Such as any hot lure that seems to work well on LOTW, or color. Type of minnows, morning or afternoon, or is their a night bite? will be targeting walleye, sauger, and perch.
We'll be renting a sleeper, but will not be limited to just fishing out of it. our plan is to do some exploring. We will be by the morris point area if any one is familiar with that. Thanks for any and all help. I'll be making a complete report when I return.
Walleyemaxx(Tom)

Branta canadensis
01-08-2010, 10:30 PM
I do not have any tips for LOTW but I did go fishing on New Years day. My friends and I fished Lake Emily in Portage county. We drilled some random holes on a previous hot spot for one of my friends. In 2 hours we ended up catching 5 northerns. The fish all seemed to be copy cats of one another. They all measured 14 inches. It was a good day with good friends. The fish were hitting minnows w/jigs, minnows w/hook.

My plan is to fish once or twice along the bay of green bay. If you hear of anything hot to use on the bay, please pass it on.

I look forward to reading about your trip to LOTW.

walleyemaxx
01-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Thanks for your report Branta. Glad to hear you finally got on the ice. You earned it.
I plan on a few trips to Sturgeon Bay myself. I can make plans with you, and pick you up and we can fish for the big Walleyes, Perch, and the white fish.
I know a few guys who have fished there quit a bit. They've already given me some info about how and what to do. We'll talk more about it in a few weeks.

Walleyemaxx(Tom)

Branta canadensis
01-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Just got an invite from a friend to fish whitefish on the bay on MLK Day. I'll let you know how we do. Have you heard anything about the ice conditions on the Bay? For the matter, how are the conditions throughout the state? What baits should I be using for walleyes/whitefish while on the bay?

Good luck on LOTW

walleyemaxx
01-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Hey Branta.
I talked today to a guy who said they just started to ice fish the bay about two weeks ago. So I can't imagine the ice would be to thick. For the white fish, try the deep water-60 to 90 feet during the day. Use small spoons tipped with a whole minnow, or half a minnow. Experiment to see how aggresive they are. Buckshot rattle spoons and swidish pimples in blue or purple. Use the smaller sizes.

For the Walleyes, fish them starting in late afternoon to evening. Use an odd ball jig tipped with a 3" emerald shinner. Experiment with color, but glow seems to work good. For the Walleyes, move much shallower. Fish the edge of the reefs to anywhere from 20 to 30 feet. Use a vexilar. If you don't have one, buy one. They are invaluable in ice fishing. Move a lot untill you find some fish, but be aware of the conditions at all times. The wind can cause white outs and make it tough. If you have a GPS, bring it. Hope this helps. Good luck and let me know how you do. I'm planning a trip to the bay in three weeks.

Walleyemaxx(Tom)

walleyemaxx
01-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey Branta.

I just read a report this morning of a truck going thru yesterday. Also some reports of some open water still visible. Drill holes as you go out and see how thick the ice is. Also saw a report that the whitefish are hitting well in sand bay. Be carefull.

Walleyemaxx(Tom)

walleyemaxx
01-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Getting things packed for my LOTW trip now. One of the guys in our party has a blackberry, and if we can get a signal, I will be postimg reports daily from the sleeper shack. In any event I will have a complete report on Monday evening.

Walleyemaxx(Tom)