PDA

View Full Version : And Thick Too...............

Frank Walsh
12-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Not really. Here's a cutout from the right side of the barge. Just a hair over 3 inches. as you move to the left of the barge, still only about 2 inches. Still have a few days to go before checking.

Pikebob
12-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Make yourself a big ole cocktail with that ice cube!!! Sit back and watch the ice thicken! What a life!!!???

Frank Walsh
12-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Not quite as attractive as the Corona Beer commercials.....eh?

Frank Walsh
12-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Just ventured out a bit. Found a consistent 5 inches out to the stake. Then went down to a little over 3 inches. Pretty good progress from yesterday.

The stake is further out than the picture shows it, and looks to be the water/ice line from last Friday. Everything this side was ice, and everything past the stake was open water on Friday.

Think with the cold tonight, I'll start out again tomorrow, and see how far I get. Would not be surprised to make it off of here tomorrow or Friday.

dpear
12-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Better get the 'what to do when you break through' vids out again.Its time.You should watch them yourself the way it sounds.

musky1969
12-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Ok enough with this ice stuff, when do you think ice out is going to be!!!!:D

Pikebob
12-10-2009, 09:00 AM
No Doubt, bring out the casting gear!!! Rev up those outboards and watch out for the rocks!!! Did I mention that I HATE ICE!!??

Frank Walsh
12-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Got her marked from Oak to Flag today. Ice about 4-5 inches.

Now here's a spooky question. You're on the ice no one has ever been on before. You're all alone. No one knows where you are, and no help you if you get in trouble. Which would you rather run into? Wolf or otter tracks?

Quite a few wolf tracks, and a few otter track out there today.

dpear
12-10-2009, 06:42 PM
I'll come up and 'call' them off you.

Frank Walsh
12-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Ah.....The Wold Whisperer returns.

That's suppose to be wolf.

Pikebob
12-11-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't think I would worry about the wolf tracks, as the extra weight of them with you will cause them to go thru the ice. No Worries!

Frank Walsh
12-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Looks like Dave Stone grabbed a shot from the webcam of a really good looking guy today on a sled.

I have it on good authority that this movie star was on his way to Young's Bay for the first time of the winter season.

dpear
12-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Looks like a 'ham' trying to get on camera to me.

Frank Walsh
12-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Maybe other times, but not this one. Was a surprise to me.

I'm just glad I was not picking my nose. Or taking a leak. One can sure learn from Tiger Woods. And not just about golf swings.

dpear
12-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Should be safe soon-with a high of -9,bet you're happy.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=fgf&map.x=292&map.y=10

Nevertheless,I managed to break through for the first time yesterday.Only to my waist though but Big had to swim a few feet and his technique of extricating himself was different than your video to say the least.We walked(hunted)our way home.:)

Can see he's still a little wet 45 minutes later.Going to buy him a set of ice picks for Christmas.

Matts coming to hunt pheasants a few days friday-boy have I got a good spot for him!Water still 'running' underneath in this spot.

Murph
12-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Hey Frank,

What is the latest ice report??

Frank Walsh
12-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Big is quite the shot. You get any???? I thought waterfowl hunting was ducks. Not pheasant. What's it going to take to keep you off the ice???

Frank Walsh
12-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Ice is coming along real nice. Probably have 8-12 inches on the big water. About 7-10 on the north side. For some strange reason the ice is not developing as fast closer to shore, so I have not pulled the houses out yet. If all goes right, will start pulling houses in the morning.

Got all my miles and miles of trails marked today.

dpear
12-14-2009, 07:14 PM
To answer your question,probably a funeral.Hope not.
Matt,Dave,Bets and a few others know what I'm doing in the morning(Bets has forbidden me but she'll be gone)but I'd better not tell you.At least I agreed to wait til then and to wear a F vest and have the ice picks in hand.:)
The shore thing is a concern.Is your soil REALLY saturated?If so,could be like here and really unsafe cause of continuous draining.At -15 etc you'd think it would freeze but so far it isn't at many places.Tonight I had to walk out about 20 feet to stop breaking through on this lake and when I'd slow down and look behind,my tracks were 'wet' and filling.(it was minus 4 at the time.)Hope thats not what you have there.

Ed Spoerl
12-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Frank,

I will take the wolf. When I was a kid I fell thru up to my pits. Only way I could get out was to grab Tyler's paw and pull myself up on the ice.

In case you are wondering.....Tyler was the name of our chessy.

That's why I have a soft spot for your pup!