PDA

View Full Version : Mille Lacs update 11/3

Paul Schlagel
11-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Fishing had good for the past couple weeks, but it was definitely slower the past few days. Still, we (guests and I) didn't get a fish Saturday, but hooked into a fish on Sunday and Monday. None were the giants that we're after this time of year, both were upper-40 range, but they're super duper fat this time of year.

The water temperature is 42 F. Judging from the water temp and the mild weather forecast for the next week, I would guess that there will be three weeks of fishing left. Hopefully we'll still be able to get out all the way through Thanksgiving.

We're almost exclusively throwing pig plastics from my boat, occasionally slow-rolling a huge spinnerbait to mix things up a bit. We're trolling after dark. All the fishing is now done on the reefs and shoreline rock/gravel spots - that's all I'm sharing about location.

The water is getting cold and safety should be foremost on everyone's mind. Most importantly, don't fish alone. Let's remember that a guy died last year in the late fall because there wasn't anyone to help him when he fell in. Don't fish alone. Also, know the limits of your boat and your body and don't run either of them to close to the limit.

Good luck

geno668
11-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Paul,

Can you recall such a prolonged run of stable, warm November weather? Last year we were ice fishing the day after Thanksgiving, doesn't appear that will be the case this year.

Paul Schlagel
11-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Yes, this has been a very unusual November. But, we had period of very similar weather last year. Last year the water dropping gradually, right on schedule, and fishing was good, until a major weather change. Last year got messed up when a huge front came through with two days of 30+ mph winds (I'm not exaggerating), then was followed by 10-12 days of very warm and calm weather. During that warm spell the water temps actually increased few degree to about 45F, up from about 42F at the end of Oct. During that warm stretch the fishing was really slow. Then, cold weather came back with a vengeance and it was so cold that the lake was mostly iced up by Thanksgiving. The cold weather made for some brutal fishing conditions, but the fishing improved dramatically. Unfortunately, it was so cold it didn't last long. There's a front coming this weekend, followed by cold weather. I hope the cold revs up the fishing like it did last year. Mille Lacs will be open until musky season closes Dec. 1. I see no reason to suffer through the cold for mediocre fish, so I'll be on Mille Lacs trying for a fifty pounder until it's frozen or the season closes, whichever comes first.