PDA

View Full Version : Pete's New Boat - Project Underway

Pete Stoltman
11-03-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm very excited to report that I just became the newest owner of a classic craft. The boat is a 1940 Thompson that has been completely restored and is very lake-worthy. For the upcoming 2010 season I will be focusing a great portion of my guide trips on using this boat. I will be offering row-trolling for muskies and walleye along with casting for bass and panfish. In the true spirit of nostalgia I'll also be offering some ammenities that are not part of most modern trips. Picnic lunches and even shore lunches will be available for those who would like to re-visit the olden days. In addition to the lakes that are normally on my agenda this boat is portable enough to take me into lakes that don't see a lot of pressure from power boats and recreational watercraft.

In the upcoming months I'll be working on the outfitting and rigging of this as yet unnamed vessel. I've got some new rods on order and am also looking at options for gear storage, electronics etc. I guess you could say old fashioned technique meet modern technology. The challenge is to make this happen without compromising the vintage integrity of the boat. As we go along I'll be keeping you updated on my progress and of course adding more information to my website pages. Anyone who's interested in a trip on the Thompson please feel free to contact me with questions etc. Input is always helpful to help me figure out the right way to do this. Here's a couple of shots of the boat to wet your appetitie.

Sid Chigger
11-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Nice looking, Pete! And getting her equipped makes for a great wintertime project!

You'd have your work cut out for ya paddling my lard arse around, though.. LOL

How bout the SS Chigger for the name? :)

Pete Stoltman
11-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Hey Sid, no worries on the paddling. You'll be pulling on the oars too! That will make two of us lard asses dragging baits around. For some reason I just remembered a scene in an old Marx Bros. movie where Groucho is laying back in a boat playing guitar and some cute lady rowing the boat around. That ain't happenin' in this cruiser buddy. SS Chigger huh? I'll take it under advisement to the naming committee.

Sid Chigger
11-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Matt, serenading ya with the banjo as you paddle around is out too, I guess?? LOLOL

Muskie Matt
11-03-2009, 07:33 PM
That would make a great video clip... fade into a shot of a lake, you can hear banjo music, and into the shot comes Pete rowing with me picking, we move across the whole scene and out of the shot, banjo music fading... into another fabulous RFRG instructional video...

Pete Stoltman
11-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Hmmm, banjos and guitars are pretty easy. Wonder if I could get my drum set on board. Now that would be some funny S**T. Keep the ideas coming boys.

Jay Jay
11-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Very nice Pete! How about Jenny II for the name? Me pulling on oars? I'll have to think really hard about that. I had the opportunity to go out on Lake Michigan on a sail boat for the first time in my life this summer. It was an experience, but I prefer something with a motor.
Peck to you later. JJ

AndrewR
11-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Wayyyyyyyyy cool!