PDA

View Full Version : Full moon is here,,,

Ranger Rick
11-02-2009, 07:26 PM
The water temps are 41 to 46 degrees on the lakes right now with the largest lakes being a bit warmer. This past Saturday was the day to be on the water. Unfortunately, I got cancelled. Some of my better fishing guides both got 6 muskies each to hit and they were hitting hard Saturday afternoon when that cold weather settled in. On muskie a 42 incher, ran hard twice bending the rod greatly and then was netted. SHE HAD THE SUCKER BY THE TAIL, NO HOOKS IN HER AND WOULDN'T LET GO.

My experience of the past 3 days, is to run the suckers deep and keep them down. Don't fish any shallow than 14 or 15 feet and out to 28 or 30. I don't always believe the muskies go deep right away, but this fall many have slipped off that secondary break early.

I haven't caught a fish shallower than 17 in two weeks, except the one I picked up in 18 feet and took me to 6 feet when we got that incredable underwater footage while filming with Dan Gapen last week.

Thirty years experience guiding for musky and many 50 inchers on suckers has taught me keep the suckers down and moving slow, even in the wind.

Stay tuned, guiding again tomorrow.

Ranger Rick