PDA

View Full Version : Canada Refund check problems

Dave F
10-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Has anyone had any trouble cashing the check from Canada for your lodging refund? The bank I deal with had the check returned from where the bank sends their checks. We have had this problem 3 or 4 times out of the approximately 8 times we have been to Andy Myers Lodge.
Dave

Steve Herbeck
10-30-2009, 08:00 AM
geez, i would think a govt issued refund check would be good, the problem is more than likely a teller or bank that is unfamiliar with foriegn issued checks,to be honest i've never heard of anyone recieving a check that had problems with it being cashed,not issued a check because the form was not filled out right or the invoice did not have everything listed as a pkg yes but not once they recieved the check,this is the first,so i'm assuming it is a personal bank issue.

ranger801
11-01-2009, 11:56 AM
My bank initially told me thay could not cash my check since it did not have the proper number of digits in the routing number at the bottom. After I stated that it was a Canadian Government check, they rethought and cashed it. They told me that they would have to send it to their international division for final clearance rather than sending through their normal processing center. This is the first time that I have had this issue come up in the past 8 years.

Dave F
11-03-2009, 02:10 AM
The national bank that gets the check from the savings bank, where I actually do my banking, said that the check came back from The Federal Reserve Bank where they send the checks. The reason given: It does not say the check amount is in US funds!
The National Bank has been good in dealing with it and has now sent it to a different place to see if they will cash it.
Amazing.
Dave F

Steve Herbeck
11-03-2009, 03:18 PM
after some checking apparently the problem is on the US side,bank cashing procedures have changed over the past couple years in dealing with foriegn checks due to increased enforcement with money laundering and such. since it is fairly new and many banks or tellers or whatever are not that familiar with it and when the check does not have a US bank routing sequence it is probably just easier for them to bounce it than take the time it figure it out.
i have had several problems in the past year with a couple stubborn bankers with my checks issued from my U.S. business account that is thru a canadian bank. eventually they got it right. then i write hundreds of others with no issues at all.
as far as cdn govt issued checks these are the first of hundreds i have heard of with problems,getting them because of improperly filled out forms or invoices yes but not cashing them.
personally i have never sent for a rebate so come to think of it i'm not so sure the checks issued wouldn't be in cdn$ funds even though on our invoices it states paid is u.s. funds,i will check into it and get back.

edalz
11-12-2009, 01:01 AM
after some checking apparently the problem is on the US side,bank cashing procedures have changed over the past couple years in dealing with foriegn checks due to increased enforcement with money laundering and such. since it is fairly new and many banks or tellers or whatever are not that familiar with it and when the check does not have a US bank routing sequence it is probably just easier for them to bounce it than take the time it figure it out.
i have had several problems in the past year with a couple stubborn bankers with my checks issued from my U.S. business account that is thru a canadian bank. eventually they got it right. then i write hundreds of others with no issues at all.
as far as cdn govt issued checks these are the first of hundreds i have heard of with problems,getting them because of improperly filled out forms or invoices yes but not cashing them.
personally i have never sent for a rebate so come to think of it i'm not so sure the checks issued wouldn't be in cdn$ funds even though on our invoices it states paid is u.s. funds,i will check into it and get back.

I just cashed mine and the bank said I had to deposit it and they would do the exchange for me and the check did come in Canadian funds. Last year when I got the check the letter from Canada said they would no longer be sending checks out in US funds.

Tom Borecki
11-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Herbie:

This little snafu on cashing Canada Refunds seems to be due to recent changes at US banks related to electronic transactions. For example, JP Morgan Chase will not accept the Canadian Refund checks when submitted via newer ATM stations designed to take check deposits without envelops as the foreign check is not computer coded in a manner to be accepted by the machines. The bank will cash the very same check if you take it to a teller for deposit.

Some things just have to be done the old fashioned way.

Cheers

Tom B>

esoxaddict
11-25-2009, 04:23 PM
My bank cashed it with no questions. Then they debited my account $6.93 to make up for the excahnge rate, and another $10 to process the check. Normally, I'd just be kinda miffed, but I've been unemployed since June. $16 is a lot of money right now.

Dave F
12-26-2009, 01:52 PM
It took over a month, but we finally received our refund a few days before Christmas.
We hope all of you had a Blessed Christmas and we hope you have a Blessed New Year!!
Dave

Rondogpike
01-06-2010, 08:52 AM
I normally apply for the rebates for our entire group (8 guys). In 2009 I did this and only my check was returned. All members of my group had to apply individually. I took care of the paper work for them and they did recieve their checks. Most had problems cashing them. As stated above the checks are now issued in Canadian dollars not US dollars. One guys bank refused to even cash the check at all.

Dave F
01-17-2010, 11:19 PM
when they cashed our check, we received the full amount on the check. I'm all for getting the rebate, but they should make it easier.
Think about it: You can go uninvited to a party at the White House,
You can get on a plane bound for Detroit, (Nothing against Detroit.) pay cash for a one way ticket after your own father tries to tell the authorities that they should watch you,
BUT: You can't cash a check on the Canadian Government.:confused: